nCoV public service announcement. (IMPORTANT)

• 7729 Replies

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
Re: nCoV public service announcement. (IMPORTANT)
« Reply #1020 on: April 07, 2020, 11:47:56 PM »
Ah.  Yes, that makes less sense then.

?  Could you be a little less clear.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #1021 on: April 08, 2020, 12:35:36 AM »
The lock downs are getting beyond a joke

So they tell you, you are allowed to go out for excerise like a jog. People do and now they say you're not allowed because too many people went out and did it

Seems like a text book 'how to become a police state'

Over here someone was fined over $1600 (later taken back after public outrage) because a daughter was learning how to drive with her mum.

Not 'essential' enough. How the F do you catch the corona virus learning to drive.

Peoples human rights and freedoms are being slowly eroded. I understand the social distancing and policies that actually help slow/prevent transmission of viruses (eg congregations like church, parties and mass gatherings etc) but jogging on a beach? $1000 fine. Sitting on a bench eating a kebab? $1000 fine. It's out of hand

And like influenza the corona virus is likely to stay. Mutate like the flu into something slightly different. All the while the set up for controlling the population has been done. Governments no longer have to reliquinish the power they have. And we applaud it (public calls for the harshest kind of lock down over Easter break)

We are truly mad

Governments won't let go of this for a long long time. What was considered a police state and human rights abuses is now mainstream.

Again, I don't mind sensible social distancing measures but we are going too far. It's all baby steps until you look back and can't even see the shore line

Only shitty governments that have no idea about the situation do this. My government doesn't do it, I can do nearly everything I want to and yet our numbers are dropping.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #1022 on: April 08, 2020, 12:39:38 AM »
It could be related to the fact that an anti-parasitic coupled with an antibiotic may not be the most effective way to take down a virus. But, that's just conjecture.

Trump and Co have a stake in the company that makes it.   So when you take it, you still die, but he makes a profit and feels better.

I think it's really funny how all the liberals and democrats now suddenly hate on chloroquine, simply because trump endorses it.
Fact is, chloroquine is the (or at least one of the) most promising treatment options for sars cov 2.

Even wiki mentions its antiviral properties:
Chloroquine has antiviral effects.[34] It increases late endosomal and lysosomal pH, resulting in impaired release of the virus from the endosome or lysosome – release of the virus requires a low pH. The virus is therefore unable to release its genetic material into the cell and replicate.[35][36]

Chloroquine also seems to act as a zinc ionophore, that allows extracellular zinc to enter the cell and inhibit viral RNA-dependent RNA polymerase.[37][38]

Early research suggest it has potential but needs more and better research:
Chloroquine is a widely used, safe and cheap, effective in viral infections in pre-clinical studies.
Specific pre-clinical evidence and expert opinions suggest potential use against SARS-CoV-2.
A search in trial registries shows that 23 clinical trials are ongoing in China.
There is a urgent need of high-quality clinical data from different geographic areas.

But yeah, I understand how you retards think: 'orange man bad... orange man say chloroquine good... chloroquine bad'

Member of the BOTD

Lorddave

« Reply #1023 on: April 08, 2020, 01:43:20 AM »
Orange man promotes drug no one has verified if it works or not.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga

Member of the BOTD

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #1025 on: April 08, 2020, 02:07:33 AM »
People are stupid

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/fox-news-linked-fish-tank-cleaner-trumps-recommended-coronavirus-treatment-man

On Tuesday, multiple Fox News hosts accused the media of “falsely” blaming Trump for the death of a man, and the hospitalization of his wife, after the couple ingested a fish tank cleaner containing a deadly derivative of the chemical chloroquine phosphate. The wife told reporters that “Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure.”

Despite the wife’s statement, multiple Fox hosts attacked the media for “blaming Trump” for the death of the man. Tucker Carlson decried that “nobody one suggested” the couple attempt to self medicate, and hysterically accused CNN’s coverage of the incident of implying that “it was Trump that killed him.”

Trump should keep his mouth shut about things he doesn't know anything about because there are retards that listen to him as if what he says is gospel.

No cure has been found. Various styles of treatments are being trialed but none have been given the green light as a saviour

Question anyone who says a cure for a virus has been found. Any virus

It's like me saying to drink a full bottle of colloidal silver to cure your cold within 7 days. Absolute bullshit and quite dangerous.

Chloroquine does not seem like something to be considered casually. Or a blanket approach to treatment. It sounds more like something you would take as a last resort when the alternative is death.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #1026 on: April 08, 2020, 02:17:53 AM »
People are stupid

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/fox-news-linked-fish-tank-cleaner-trumps-recommended-coronavirus-treatment-man

On Tuesday, multiple Fox News hosts accused the media of “falsely” blaming Trump for the death of a man, and the hospitalization of his wife, after the couple ingested a fish tank cleaner containing a deadly derivative of the chemical chloroquine phosphate. The wife told reporters that “Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure.”

Despite the wife’s statement, multiple Fox hosts attacked the media for “blaming Trump” for the death of the man. Tucker Carlson decried that “nobody one suggested” the couple attempt to self medicate, and hysterically accused CNN’s coverage of the incident of implying that “it was Trump that killed him.”

Trump should keep his mouth shut about things he doesn't know anything about because there are retards that listen to him as if what he says is gospel.
Yes and it's their own fault to drink fish tank cleaner, one can't take responsibilty for the stupidity of certain people.

No cure has been found.
It's unlikely a cure will be found in the next few years. Our best guess is a vaccine. Medications will not be a cure but rather lead to a somewhat better outcome; supporting the patient in fighting the disease.

Chloroquine does not seem like something to be considered casually. Or a blanket approach to treatment. It sounds more like something you would take as a last resort when the alternative is death.
That's kinda how it's used, they generally don't give it to every patient... Critically ill patients usually get a mix of basically all the drugs that could help, it's also a reason why we don't know which one do work because patietns get a mix of many drugs.

Member of the BOTD

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #1027 on: April 08, 2020, 02:52:36 AM »
People are stupid

Yes and it's their own fault to drink fish tank cleaner, one can't take responsibilty for the stupidity of certain people.

No cure has been found.
It's unlikely a cure will be found in the next few years. Our best guess is a vaccine. Medications will not be a cure but rather lead to a somewhat better outcome; supporting the patient in fighting the disease.

That's kinda how it's used, they generally don't give it to every patient... Critically ill patients usually get a mix of basically all the drugs that could help, it's also a reason why we don't know which one do work because patietns get a mix of many drugs.

Indeed some ownership of the Darwin award belongs to the couple who thought self medicating on aquarium cleaner was a bright idea

Still, Trump should leave the medicine and science to the professionals in their field

His blasting of the WHO is on point though. He should stick to things like that. The WHO really dropped the ball. The one decent thing Australias inept PM did do was treat this as a pandemic long before the WHO declared it so. This shit had spread to every continent (bar Antarctica), over 110 countries, demonstrated community transmission and still they resisted on calling this a pandemic until finally on March 11

Useless SOBs

Is Pez on the WHO board? Because like Pez, the WHO thinks China has done an admirable job  :o

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #1028 on: April 08, 2020, 02:54:16 AM »
Only shitty governments that have no idea about the situation do this. My government doesn't do it, I can do nearly everything I want to and yet our numbers are dropping.

I think you'd better sober up and get out of the sauna, your brain is starting to melt.    114 deaths yesterday,  worst day so far in Sweden.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #1029 on: April 08, 2020, 02:59:09 AM »

I think you'd better sober up and get out of the sauna, your brain is starting to melt.    114 deaths yesterday,  worst day so far in Sweden.
Deaths are lagging behind new cases for obvious reasons.
New cases are decreasing.

There is also still a ton of room between retarded measures like in australia and what we do.

Member of the BOTD

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #1030 on: April 08, 2020, 03:48:29 AM »
There is also still a ton of room between retarded measures like in australia and what we do.
I'm curious then why:
     Sweden has 7,693 cases, 591 deaths and 59 deaths/million population and
     Australia has 6,010 cases, 50 deaths and 2 deaths/million population.
Maybe someone is doing something right?

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #1031 on: April 08, 2020, 04:37:07 AM »
I'm curious then why:
Oh sure, you're going to stay home and don't leave your house until we have a vaccine, right? You sure have thought that one through!

Also, population density and weather are likely to have some influence, also you being on a fucking island makes it kinda easier to contain the infection...

Member of the BOTD

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #1032 on: April 08, 2020, 04:44:01 AM »
Would have been even easier if our government didn't allow a boat load of people sick from the virus to disembark off the cruise ship and disappear into the community (~10% of all our cases can be traced to that one mind boggling decision)

But eat a kebab on a park bench? You're fined $1000!!

The Police in Victoria are doing random door knocking on peoples homes fining anyone who is there that doesn't live there. What have we become.

We will still need some semblance of society when this is over. Go too hard and you will be paying for this problem for generations causing far more damage.

Know your place

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #1033 on: April 08, 2020, 05:08:12 AM »
Would have been even easier if our government didn't allow a boat load of people sick from the virus to disembark off the cruise ship and disappear into the community (~10% of all our cases can be traced to that one mind boggling decision)

But eat a kebab on a park bench? You're fined $1000!!

The Police in Victoria are doing random door knocking on peoples homes fining anyone who is there that doesn't live there. What have we become.

We will still need some semblance of society when this is over. Go too hard and you will be paying for this problem for generations causing far more damage.
I think austria has the best approach. They are opening stores, school etc again very soon, but you have to wear masks when shopping, in public transportation etc. It allows for people to go working, buy things and have at least a somewhat normal life while still keeping the virus low. I think this could - if needed - held thorugh until we find a vaccine.
The other option would be to eliminate the virus, but in my opinion that is extremely difficult and probably even impossible. And only one imported case would destroy everything.

In the end it has to be a balance between people's physical and psychological health, new infections/load on healthcare system and the economy.

Member of the BOTD

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #1034 on: April 08, 2020, 05:20:53 AM »
Yes, it was stuff-up, but:
Which government again?
Wasn't that decision that of the Port Office in Sydney, responsible to the NSW Government?
And wasn't that decision of the Port Office based on misleading information from the ship.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #1035 on: April 08, 2020, 05:27:51 AM »
I'm curious then why:
Oh sure, you're going to stay home and don't leave your house until we have a vaccine, right? You sure have thought that one through!
And where did you drag that from? We are going out when we need to. The shops we need are open.
I suspect the measures will be relaxed when the number infected has stayed "low enough" for "long enough".

Quote from: Definitely Not Swedish
Also, population density and weather are likely to have some influence, also you being on a fucking island makes it kinda easier to contain the infection...
Sure, but a factor of almost 30 in deaths per/million?
And what exactly are these "retarded measures like in Australia"? What would you suggest - let them die for "the greater good"?.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #1036 on: April 08, 2020, 05:38:17 AM »
Sure, but a factor of almost 30 in deaths per/million?
And what exactly are these "retarded measures like in Australia"? What would you suggest - let them die for "the greater good"?.
You have a very low count because you (randomly) had the luck to not have an infection going in a big city before the shutdown as for example the us has and not having an infected retard infecting dozens of people as other countries (south korea) had. Also your ozone hole probably lets through enough uv light to immediately kill all viruses.

Death rate has much to do with average age of the infected, which is pretty low for australia I think. Also you are testing much more low symptomatic people than e.g. sweden does, which lowers the death rate even more.

Anyway, have fun with your life of only staying at home except maybe for work and grocery shopping for the next 12+ months!

Member of the BOTD

« Reply #1037 on: April 08, 2020, 05:47:45 AM »
With a novel virus for which there is no vaccine or proven cure and an optimistic death rate of .2%, 600k sounds about right for a country of over 300 million people who don't want to keep their distance.
Wrong again...

« Reply #1038 on: April 08, 2020, 05:50:40 AM »
It's probably also safe to assume that a fair number of covid related deaths are not properly diagnosed or reported.
Dr. Birx admitted in the press conference that if postmortem analysis indicates any sign of SARS-CoV-2, your death will be attributed to Covid-19.

« Reply #1039 on: April 08, 2020, 05:52:47 AM »
It could be related to the fact that an anti-parasitic coupled with an antibiotic may not be the most effective way to take down a virus. But, that's just conjecture.

Trump and Co have a stake in the company that makes it.   So when you take it, you still die, but he makes a profit and feels better.
This is the biggest pile of ape shit ever posted on this forum.

« Reply #1040 on: April 08, 2020, 05:55:37 AM »
It's unlikely a cure will be found in the next few years.
There is no such thing as a cure for a virus.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #1041 on: April 08, 2020, 06:02:01 AM »
With a novel virus for which there is no vaccine or proven cure and an optimistic death rate of .2%, 600k sounds about right for a country of over 300 million people who don't want to keep their distance.
Wrong again...
So what about giving us your expert information, Mr Totallackey?

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #1042 on: April 08, 2020, 06:28:41 AM »
People are stupid

No cure has been found. Various styles of treatments are being trialed but none have been given the green light as a saviour

Question anyone who says a cure for a virus has been found. Any virus

It's like me saying to drink a full bottle of colloidal silver to cure your cold within 7 days. Absolute bullshit and quite dangerous.

Let's be fair. If they're trump supporters ita very likely that they would have ended up drinking fish tank cleaner regardless.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #1043 on: April 08, 2020, 08:44:52 AM »
I really do think the orange man is bad, but I hope he is right about the chloroquine. It's a generic drug, Trump isn't going to make a bunch of money off it, even if he does have a stake in a company that makes it. If it works, other drug companies will start making it too.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #1044 on: April 08, 2020, 09:16:56 AM »
The impression I get is that Trump just feels better thinking there's a miracle cure.  I haven't seen compelling evidence that this is some sort of grift.

As far as it's effectiveness.  Here's the thing about Fauci's response to the question of the drug's effectiveness, he answered it in kind of a science speak which doesn't quite reflect how a normal person who knows full well that its nonsense would respond.

I think if a reporter asked him the same questions but regarding some random drug like insulin that Fauci would probably give the same response.

« Reply #1045 on: April 08, 2020, 09:37:45 AM »
Wrong again...
Well, I find it remarkable that penguin here keeps including the word "cure" when writing about a virus...

Second, he writes as if people in the US are not social distancing...

« Reply #1046 on: April 08, 2020, 09:39:48 AM »
I really do think the orange man is bad, but I hope he is right about the chloroquine. It's a generic drug, Trump isn't going to make a bunch of money off it, even if he does have a stake in a company that makes it. If it works, other drug companies will start making it too.
Novartis is DONATING the hydroxychloroquine...

It does work.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #1047 on: April 08, 2020, 10:01:20 AM »
Wrong again...
Well, I find it remarkable that penguin here keeps including the word "cure" when writing about a virus...
Yes, as in "there isn't one yet".  However, scientists are working on antiviral and antibody treatments.

Second, he writes as if people in the US are not social distancing...
That's because a good number of people in the US are not social distancing or self-isolating like they're supposed to.  Some states still don't have social distancing mandates in place.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Lorddave

« Reply #1048 on: April 08, 2020, 10:57:13 AM »
Novartis is DONATING the hydroxychloroquine...

It does work.

According to Novartis's own press release:
They are not, yet, and you should not reply on them doing it.
It has not been proven to work.  Still in clinical trials.

https://www.novartis.com/news/media-releases/novartis-commits-donate-130-million-doses-hydroxychloroquine-support-global-covid-19-pandemic-response
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #1049 on: April 08, 2020, 11:10:34 AM »
May I suggest homeopathic remedies?  They're equally effective and don't have dangerous side effects.