Jwst launches in less than 3 hours

• 1802 Replies

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
Re: Jwst launches in less than 3 hours
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2022, 08:04:30 AM »
"Important people with important jobs ignore the ravings of a crazy old man that doesn't believe they exist." There's the headline, Heiwa! Now just go sell it to some news outlet so you can get your recognition finally. I bet there are plenty of places just dying for a story like that. UFOology Today, OAN, who knows?!

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2022, 09:01:54 AM »
Yes, I am old and crazy and consider the JWST a stupid joke/hoax to orbit nothing at the L2 point to watch the origins of the Universe somewhere. I do the same thing just looking out of my office window and I see a lot of things but no origin of the Universe. Why go to L2 when you can do the same thing from home?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2022, 09:35:40 AM »
Yes, I am old and crazy and consider the JWST a stupid joke/hoax to orbit nothing at the L2 point to watch the origins of the Universe somewhere. I do the same thing just looking out of my office window and I see a lot of things but no origin of the Universe. Why go to L2 when you can do the same thing from home?

Considering you're confined to your home I can see why you would think that. Does your "office" window have bars on it?

Calen

• Friend of Dorothy
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2022, 10:19:00 AM »

Infrared light is blocked by the Earth's atmosphere, so no matter how long you look or what instruments you use, you will be unable to observe the universe in that band of the electromagnetic spectrum.

But sure, you carry on looking out your window, restricting your view, as that allows you to ignore reality and construct your own fantasies.
S'ils te font de la peine, je les tuerai sans gêne.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2022, 11:36:57 AM »
Dearest Heiwa,

Please post an exact copy of a question you have posed to NASA.

Thank You,
-Bullwinkle
Some time back I asked NASA about the many scientific zero-gravity experiments carried out on the International (Fake) Space Station for various "scientists" since many years and what findings they had reached and NASA couldn't name any scientists and results.
You were asked to post an EXACT copy of a question you asked them. Is this your answer? Because if so then I was right, you come off as a crackpot.  Or is it that you never actually asked them and you're just making it up now?

I'm going with B, "he's just making it up."

Yes, that's my final answer.

Do I win?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2022, 04:02:27 PM »
Why do you keeps saying such stupid things?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Heiwa

« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2022, 05:41:48 PM »

Infrared light is blocked by the Earth's atmosphere, so no matter how long you look or what instruments you use, you will be unable to observe the universe in that band of the electromagnetic spectrum.

But sure, you carry on looking out your window, restricting your view, as that allows you to ignore reality and construct your own fantasies.
Well, I see the Sun rising at the horizon from my window every morning (in good weather). Of course it is only 70 meters above sea level, but there are mountains 3000 m high behind me, which provides the same view.  The horizon is then only further away. So I observe the light and heat of the Sun, when it arrives through the atmosphere and behind the Sun are the origins of the Universe far away. But as the Universe has always existed, there is no origin to see. No Big Bang! No Creation! Only nothing.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2022, 09:53:58 PM »

Well, I see the Sun rising at the horizon from my window every morning (in good weather). Of course it is only 70 meters above sea level, but there are mountains 3000 m high behind me, which provides the same view.  The horizon is then only further away. So I observe the light and heat of the Sun, when it arrives through the atmosphere and behind the Sun are the origins of the Universe far away. But as the Universe has always existed, there is no origin to see. No Big Bang! No Creation! Only nothing.

What can you see behind the sun? Do you not believe telescopes exist?

Heiwa

« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2022, 11:11:08 PM »

What can you see behind the sun? Do you not believe telescopes exist?
Behind the Sun is the solar system with planets and beyond that there is the rest of the Milky way galaxy and beyond it there are more galaxies and the universe with no end in sight. It has always been like that. No creation of it can be seen in my telescope. The atmosphere evidently makes observations difficult, but the atmosphere is there to protect Earth from harmful radiations. Only fools believe in the Universe having been created, e.g. out of nothing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 11:14:50 PM by Heiwa »

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #189 on: January 19, 2022, 09:30:30 AM »
The atmosphere evidently makes observations difficult, but the atmosphere is there to protect Earth from harmful radiations.

Hence putting telescopes outside of earth's atmosphere. Even a ship plumbing engineer would understand this.

Only fools believe in the Universe having been created, e.g. out of nothing.

What's your evidence for this? Just an opinion of yours?

Heiwa

« Reply #190 on: January 19, 2022, 09:49:02 AM »
The atmosphere evidently makes observations difficult, but the atmosphere is there to protect Earth from harmful radiations.

Hence putting telescopes outside of earth's atmosphere. Even a ship plumbing engineer would understand this.

Haven't you heard of the BIG BANG 14 billion years ago when the UNIVERSE came about from nothing?

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #191 on: January 19, 2022, 09:52:10 AM »

Haven't you heard of the BIG BANG 14 billion years ago when the UNIVERSE came about from nothing?
You like to repeat things that have been discussed before as though you never had the prior conversations. Is it willful ignorance, or senility?

Calen

• Friend of Dorothy
« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2022, 10:47:14 AM »

That is what you say science teaches, but that is not true.

Ex nihilo creation is a religious concept, not a scientific one.

The current prevailing model says that the physical universe we observe today emerged from the condensation of matter from energy, due to symmetry breaking of the unified fundamental forces.  This happened after cosmic inflation - the moment called Big Bang. In other words the energy that formed matter already existed, and was contained with the singularity that preceded the Big Bang.

However, unlike yourself who claim to be able to know the true nature of the universe simply by observation from your window, scientists don't claim this to be fact. They present it as the model that best explains what you see out your window, freely admitting that at as a model, it may be wrong. Indeed not all scientists agree with the prevailing ΛCDM model.

That's the thing though, science is the  unending search for knowledge and understanding.  It isn't then end result but the process.  Things that are believed to be well understood can be flipped on their head by later discoveries, and better, deeper understanding.

But you go ahead and make up crap that you claim science says is fact, as it's a great way to highlight your own ignorance.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:48:55 AM by Calen »

Heiwa

« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2022, 12:08:13 PM »
Well, I just say the the Universe has always existed and that sending the JWST to L2 will confirm it, which I could see from my window without going to L2. Nothing to get upset about.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2022, 12:21:40 PM »
Well, I just say the the Universe has always existed and that sending the JWST to L2 will confirm it, which I could see from my window without going to L2. Nothing to get upset about.

How did you confirm it from your window?

Heiwa

« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2022, 05:07:53 PM »

By watching the Sun rise in the morning and the Moon passing at night with planets, stars and sometimes a comet behind the Moon. I have also seen the International Fake Station passing. It is just an unmanned satellite orbiting Earth.   

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2022, 05:40:58 PM »

By watching the Sun rise in the morning and the Moon passing at night with planets, stars and sometimes a comet behind the Moon. I have also seen the International Fake Station passing. It is just an unmanned satellite orbiting Earth.

Wow, so you know everything about the universe and its origins from just looking out the window. Impressive. I guess we can finally dispense with all the universities, research institutes, physicists, astronomers, etc., and just go with Heiwa's Theory of Everything. All the world needs is you and your window.

Heiwa

« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2022, 06:34:15 PM »

Wow, so you know everything about the universe and its origins from just looking out the window. Impressive. I guess we can finally dispense with all the universities, research institutes, physicists, astronomers, etc., and just go with Heiwa's Theory of Everything. All the world needs is you and your window.
No, I just know about the Universe what I observe from my window. Plenty people make up all sorts of fantasies about nuclear bombs 1945, space travel 1969, a bow visor falling off a ferry 1994, 911 skyscraper collapses at NY 2001, etc, which I consider old fake news to fool people. For details see my web page.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #198 on: January 19, 2022, 07:25:37 PM »

No, I just know about the Universe what I observe from my window.

Yes that is utterly accurate. That's all you know and your mechanism for knowledge, which amounts to all that you know, is looking out a window. Thanks for clarifying the depth of your knowledge and how it is acquired: A window.

Heiwa

« Reply #199 on: January 19, 2022, 10:41:53 PM »

No, I just know about the Universe what I observe from my window.

Yes that is utterly accurate. That's all you know and your mechanism for knowledge, which amounts to all that you know, is looking out a window. Thanks for clarifying the depth of your knowledge and how it is acquired: A window.
What is the alternative? Sending a space telescope to L2 and look from there? It really is ridiculous. No, best is visual observation from Earth with due regard to the atmosphere.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #200 on: January 20, 2022, 02:55:16 AM »

This window, does it have locked restrictors for which you do not have the keys and anti-ligature mesh?
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Heiwa

« Reply #201 on: January 20, 2022, 03:46:59 AM »

This window, does it have locked restrictors for which you do not have the keys and anti-ligature mesh?
No, there are seven windows with a view of the Mediterranean Sea at my top floor penthouse. But the place is well protected against intruders. I happen to be rich. What about you? Do you have a job?

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #202 on: January 20, 2022, 04:42:42 AM »

I too am fabulously wealthy and influential but also, I have had difficulty in leaving my mansion or its grounds, not only has my wife now told me she is a mental health nurse, and we are in fact not married, but the staff too have declared they do not work for me.

I speculate that I have probably been too wrapped up in my studies and allowed things to slip, and shall endeavour to put things right, she is justly annoyed at my lack of attention lately and has set out to make me more attentive to her needs,  her persistence in wearing the uniform I so like indicates that she does care and all is redeemable, the staff I shall probably sack.   
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2022, 05:29:13 AM »
Since Heiwa is refusing to show us the message he sent to NASA (or just can't understand what is being asked of him), I wonder if we can file a freedom of information request to see what he said.

Assuming he's not just making it all up. 

Calen

• Friend of Dorothy
« Reply #204 on: January 20, 2022, 05:52:13 AM »
It's filed under /dev/null.

Heiwa

« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2022, 06:22:08 AM »
Since Heiwa is refusing to show us the message he sent to NASA (or just can't understand what is being asked of him), I wonder if we can file a freedom of information request to see what he said.

No, I am hard at work to update my web page about it.

Lagrange points are positions in space where the gravitational forces of a two-body system like the Sun and Earth produce enhanced regions of attraction and repulsion.

These can be used by spacecraft as "parking spots" in space to remain in a fixed position with minimal fuel consumption, if you can find them, I am told.

The ESA/NASA clowns suggest that the JWST can orbit (!!) around  Lagrange Point L2.

It is called a halo orbit, a periodic, three-dimensional orbit near one of the L1, L2 or L3 Lagrange points in the three-body problem of orbital mechanics.
Although a Lagrange point is just a point in empty space, its peculiar characteristic is that it can be orbited by a Lissajous orbit or a halo orbit, I am told.

In orbital mechanics, a Lissajous orbit is a quasi-periodic (?) orbital trajectory that an object like the JWST can follow around a Lagrangian point of no mass in a three-body system without requiring any propulsion.

So Lagrangian points exist in a two-body system. When you enter a third body, like the JWST, into this system it becomes a three-body dynamic system and the third body can Lissajous orbit around the Lagrangian point requiring no propulsion, of course, I am told.

Questions remain how to enter the JWST in a Lissajous orbit around  Lagrange point L2 and what the orbit sped and radius are.

It seems the JWST will change direction all the time around L2, so if you shall observe the end of the Universe from L2 you have to change your aim all the time. How to do it?

I have asked ESA/NASA about it and await a reply.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2022, 06:38:03 AM »
Have you considered updating to a Geocities theme?

Heiwa

« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2022, 08:38:34 AM »
Have you considered updating to a Geocities theme?
No. What is it? Web design? I like my 1980's style.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2022, 12:19:55 PM »
Questions remain how to enter the JWST in a Lissajous orbit around  Lagrange point L2 and what the orbit sped and radius are.

It seems the JWST will change direction all the time around L2, so if you shall observe the end of the Universe from L2 you have to change your aim all the time. How to do it?

Why do you need to ask NASA/ESA when you can just look it up.

JWST Orbit

JWST will be placed in an orbit about the Sun-Earth L2 Lagrange point located about 1.5 million km from Earth, which is four times the distance between the Earth and the Moon.

It is incorrect to say that JWST "will be at L2." Rather, JWST will orbit around L2.

The distance of JWST from the L2 point varies between 250,000 to 832,000 km, as shown in Figure 1. The period of the orbit is about 6 months. The maximum excursion above or below the ecliptic plane is 520,000 km. The maximum distance from the Earth is 1.8 million km, and the maximum Earth-Sun angle is <33°.

L2 is a saddle point in the gravitational potential of the Solar System. Because saddle points are not stable, JWST will need to regularly fire onboard thrusters to maintain its orbit around L2. These station-keeping maneuvers will be performed every 21 days.

To maintain solar power, the orbit is designed such that JWST is never in the shadow of the Earth or the Moon during the mission.

Rationale for the orbit dimensions
A larger orbit makes it easier to get the spacecraft to L2, as well as maintain its orbit. However, larger orbits can also permit stray light from the Earth or Moon to get past the sun shield and strike the primary or secondary mirrors. In addition, a larger orbit reduces communication contact opportunities.

Because JWST is solar powered, it cannot pass through the Earth's shadow during the mission. Orbits are selected that avoid shadow crossings, by selecting the launch time for a given launch day.

The L2 orbit shape is not constrained, so torus orbits, halo orbits, or Lissajous orbits are acceptable and are determined primarily by the launch's time of day and day of year. This freedom in the L2 orbit design allows for multiple launch opportunities for most months and minimizes the velocity needed to get to orbit. A trajectory can be fashioned so that JWST ‘falls into orbit’ about L2 rather than having to forcibly inject itself into a set orbit using its propulsion subsystem; this saves propellant and makes for simpler orbit maintenance.

Orbit maintenance
The L2 orbit has an orbit period of 6 months. While orbits about the L2 point are inherently unstable, the orbit size is large and the orbital velocity is low (~1 km/s), so the orbit "decays" slowly. However, JWST's large sun shield, roughly the size of a tennis court, is subject to significant solar radiation pressure which results in both a force and a torque. The direction of solar force varies as the observatory's attitude changes from observation to observation. The solar torque is balanced by reaction wheels, but periodically, the accumulated momentum is dumped by firing thrusters. Because JWST operations are event-driven, the observatory attitude profile and momentum dumping cannot be accurately predicted months in advance. These 2 perturbations increase the acceleration of JWST from its orbit about L2, and necessitates more frequent orbit maintenance (station keeping) maneuvers than other Lagrange orbit missions (which are typically 3–4 times per year). Accurate orbit determination will require daily tracking measurements over a period of 19 days, so station keeping will be performed every 21 days.

Orbit perturbations along the Sun-L2 axis have the greatest impact on orbit stability. Thrusters are mounted on the spacecraft bus (located on the side of the sun shield facing the Sun); those used for orbit correction are oriented as far away from the sun shield as possible. The sun shield can support a larger sun-pitch angle† for orbit correction than that allowed for science operations. This architecture allows thruster firing at angles up to 90° from the Sun consistent with Sun avoidance restrictions, which is sufficient to provide orbit correction in all cases.

The orbit will be biased to compensate for mean outward forces associated with gravitation of the planets and radiation pressure on the sun shield.

?

frenat

« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2022, 01:49:01 PM »

Lagrange points are positions in space where the gravitational forces of a two-body system like the Sun and Earth produce enhanced regions of attraction and repulsion.

These can be used by spacecraft as "parking spots" in space to remain in a fixed position with minimal fuel consumption, if you can find them, I am told.

The ESA/NASA clowns suggest that the JWST can orbit (!!) around  Lagrange Point L2.

It is called a halo orbit, a periodic, three-dimensional orbit near one of the L1, L2 or L3 Lagrange points in the three-body problem of orbital mechanics.
Although a Lagrange point is just a point in empty space, its peculiar characteristic is that it can be orbited by a Lissajous orbit or a halo orbit, I am told.

In orbital mechanics, a Lissajous orbit is a quasi-periodic (?) orbital trajectory that an object like the JWST can follow around a Lagrangian point of no mass in a three-body system without requiring any propulsion.

So Lagrangian points exist in a two-body system. When you enter a third body, like the JWST, into this system it becomes a three-body dynamic system and the third body can Lissajous orbit around the Lagrangian point requiring no propulsion, of course, I am told.

translation: I don't understand anything about this. I sent an email that likely went directly to their spam folders.