XBox One is now gonna spy on you...

• 122 Replies

Lorddave

XBox One is now gonna spy on you...
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »
Apparently the conspiracy got to Microsoft.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/6367-the-xbox-one/

...the mandatory internet connection and the Kinect sensor having to be connected for the console to function.

So basically, Microsoft can watch you (in HD) at any time, at all times.  And if the console is off?
It features a “wake on voice” function using the microphone

So, unless you physically unplug it, it'll still be on. 

Anyone else slightly fearful of this?
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
Re: XBox One is now gonna spy on you...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:13:32 AM »

No. My flat is currently equipped with a Gamecube and a Sega Megadrive and there are no immediate plans for it to change.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:44:24 AM »
No one is going to buy this "console".

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:33:18 AM »

No. My flat is currently equipped with a Gamecube and a Sega Megadrive and there are no immediate plans for it to change.
PS2 and MegaDrive here. My respect to you, sir.

Foxy

• but it did happen
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 11:45:05 AM »
I've never owned or been interested in owning an Xbox of any kind.

?

Kroht

• I am moderately powerful.
Did this post help? There's no rating system on this site.

Rushy

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 11:57:01 AM »
Most consumers of an xbox will not be aware of any of the news regarding the console. If it isn't featured in a cardboard Wal-mart ad in the gaming isle, they never will. A small vocal minority of the gaming community will refuse the new Xbox, but 12-year-old Jimmy's grandma won't know jack shit about the now mandatory Kinect's abilities.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 06:22:56 PM »
Not sure how valuable people watching TV is to the Conspiracy.  Facebook is a likelier perpetrator of vicious privacy invasion.  Apple too. 
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

rooster

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »
I did actually want the next Xbox since I enjoy the 360, but that does make me uncomfortable. Plus we'd have to constantly unplug and hide the Kinect since my cat chews through any wires laying about.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »
Going to kind of play devil's advocate here, just to be clear.

My understanding of the Kinect 2 is that it has its own onboard chipset that only draws only enough power for the speech recognition when the system is turned off, so it's not connected to the internet or anything when the system is off.  Though I'm sure the console has some kind of "Wake on LAN" BIOS feature like most if not all PCs these days, I don't think it'll be anything to worry about.

It is pretty reprehensible that they're requiring an internet connection for it.  For one I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they still charge for XBL Gold and will make a subscription mandatory.  Secondly, I don't think they understand the kind of people they're giving the finger to by requiring an internet connection to verify accounts and game ownership: The military.  Soldiers in the middle east play XBox and PS3 to kill time in off-duty hours, as well as seamen in long metal shafts deep underwater.  Neither of these situations guarantee an internet connection is available, if at all.  So basically Microsoft hates our troops.

Quote from: from that article
The new console features an AMD 8 core CPU, and 8GB DDR3 RAM and an AMD Radeon Graphics card. It is a powerhouse, on par with the new PS4′s own specs.

LOL.  Aside from the comparable CPU, the PS3's ram has far less latency and higher frequency.  Not sure exactly what the PS4 is sporting for graphics, but I think they learned their lesson last time and aren't going to skimp.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »

PS2 and MegaDrive here. My respect to you, sir.

For me it's:
PS2
X-box
Gamecube
Dreamcast
Saturn
N64
PS1
SNES
Genesis
NES
Atari 7800
Atari 5200
Atari 2600
Intellivision
and a '1943' arcade cabinet.

Will pick up a PS3 and a 360 sooner or later.  That mandatory internet connection can blow me.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 04:38:40 PM »

My understanding of the Kinect 2 is that it has its own onboard chipset that only draws only enough power for the speech recognition when the system is turned off, so it's not connected to the internet or anything when the system is off.  Though I'm sure the console has some kind of "Wake on LAN" BIOS feature like most if not all PCs these days, I don't think it'll be anything to worry about.

It is pretty reprehensible that they're requiring an internet connection for it.  For one I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they still charge for XBL Gold and will make a subscription mandatory.  Secondly, I don't think they understand the kind of people they're giving the finger to by requiring an internet connection to verify accounts and game ownership: The military.  Soldiers in the middle east play XBox and PS3 to kill time in off-duty hours, as well as seamen in long metal shafts deep underwater.  Neither of these situations guarantee an internet connection is available, if at all.  So basically Microsoft hates our troops.

The new console features an AMD 8 core CPU, and 8GB DDR3 RAM and an AMD Radeon Graphics card. It is a powerhouse, on par with the new PS4′s own specs.

LOL.  Aside from the comparable CPU, the PS3's ram has far less latency and higher frequency.  Not sure exactly what the PS4 is sporting for graphics, but I think they learned their lesson last time and aren't going to skimp.

they said that they are going to provide special codes to servicemen so that they dont need to be online always.

Lorddave

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 05:32:30 PM »

they said that they are going to provide special codes to servicemen so that they dont need to be online always.

Which makes you wonder...
Why must it be online all the time?  Clearly it doesn't NEED to be.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 07:13:28 PM »
No.

1) I'm not going to buy this horrible system.
2) Neither will anyone else, it's going to bomb and bring Xbox market down the toilet.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:15:19 PM by John Michell »

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 08:48:15 PM »
The Wii looked terrible too, and it was a huge commercial success.  Don't be so quick to assume that this will flop.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »
^ There is a difference in why they looked terrible. Though I think the Wii only looked terrible to those who were quick to judge 'cause of the graphics and new control system. I don't think anyone's complaining about the One's games.

That said, it probably won't be a flop, because people are going to go out and buy it because because, but Microsoft are not doing themselves any favours. The needs-to-be-online-once-a-day was its death knell for me, but they had been slowly losing me before that. A Wii U and (maybe) a PS4 are all I'm gonna need.
Recently listened to:

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 01:13:10 AM »
It might sell well initially, but once people starts to figure out what it's deal is, I think the sales will drop, and people will start going for PS4 instead.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »
The more I hear about this thing the more I don't want to buy it.

It's annoying because they're taking away your freedom to do what you want with something you own.

I've bought the X-box and the game, why should I have to connect it to the internet to play it?

It's as if I don't actually own it.

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 02:19:53 AM »

It's annoying because they're taking away your freedom to do what you want with something you own.

I've bought the X-box and the game, why should I have to connect it to the internet to play it?

You need to be connected in order to prove to Microshit that you've really bought the game and own a valid license key. If you can't, or won't do that, then you don't have the right to play it.

It's all about money and greed, bro.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:26:35 AM by Mugthulhu »

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 03:42:53 AM »

You need to be connected in order to prove to Microshit that you've really bought the game and own a valid license key. If you can't, or won't do that, then you don't have the right to play it.

It's all about money and greed, bro.

That's fair enough if I have to do that the first time (I don't like it but I can put up with it) after that I should be allowed to play the game without having to connect again.

If I want to go on holiday, in a camper van for instance, and I want to play on my x-box I can't without connecting it to the internet.

I've lost that freedom to do what I want with the thing I own.

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 03:55:43 AM »
Yes.

Lorddave

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 04:26:00 AM »
Even Steam allows for offline mode.

But I think I figured out the problem: sales executives.
See, somewhere in the XBox side of Microsoft, there is a sales executive. His job is to provide good ideas to boost income. He sucks at his job and is therefore blaming pirating for any discrepancy between profits and his estimated profits.

rooster

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 06:57:31 AM »
I'm going to wait for E3. I wonder if any of this flak will make them revise the console.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 08:00:09 AM »
Sony president made a joke on Twitter a couple days ago about DRM, leading some of us to believe Sony won't be going the same route of taking away freedom as MS: http://www.inquisitr.com/680217/sony-president-trolls-twitter-over-drm/
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »

Which makes you wonder...
Why must it be online all the time?  Clearly it doesn't NEED to be.

of course it doesn't need to be, they are simply trying to protect their publishers. 

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 04:16:09 PM »
That's because you don't actually own it. Not the game, at least.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »
Sony president made a joke on Twitter a couple days ago about DRM, leading some of us to believe Sony won't be going the same route of taking away freedom as MS: http://www.inquisitr.com/680217/sony-president-trolls-twitter-over-drm/

Sony has confirmed that they won't be having DRM.

Supes is confirmed for Wii U and PS4 (in that order of importance).
Recently listened to:

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 02:45:04 PM »
None here.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »
I'll be building a new computer before I worry about consoles, but we'll see afterward.  I'm still holding out to see what Gaben does with the Steambox and the state of gaming if/when Linux finally catches on.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 12:32:14 AM »