just wanted to say that I'm very impressed by all this..

• 257 Replies
just wanted to say that I'm very impressed by all this..
« on: September 23, 2013, 05:17:11 PM »
Have seen a number of websites trying to validate preposterous claims with confused illogicality but this one is next level.

I admire your guts in trying to validate a claim so evidently wrong that I wasn't aware it was up for discussion until today.

Flat Earth. Haha. Give me even one shred of evidence that supports that idea (and, even better, give me an overwhelming amount of evidence that supports it and outweighs all the actual evidence provided in support of the Earth being round, as is every other celestial body without exception)

gotham

• Planar Moderator
Re: just wanted to say that I'm very impressed by all this..
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:43:43 PM »
Welcome,

I'm rather impressed with how incredulous you are about the site so you are not being moved to CN, yet. You have just enough admiration that there may be hope for your learning process.   

You do have to move out of FED though because the"Haha" comment is not the stuff of seriousness that FED demands.

Bottom line, FET is not only not preposterous but is the truth of what you experience every day.  We all do. 

I do hope you stay and read what the site has to offer. Many start as doubters...

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
No evidence proffered I notice.

I feel that 'haha' carries more seriousness than anything I've seen so far in support of the Earth being flat.

People have circumnavigated the globe and arrived back where they started - that is only possible if the Earth is a sphere. They did it, so it must be. It doesn't need any more thought than that really.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »

I feel that 'haha' carries more seriousness than anything I've seen so far in support of the Earth being flat.

People have circumnavigated the globe and arrived back where they started - that is only possible if the Earth is a sphere. They did it, so it must be. It doesn't need any more thought than that really.

jtlondon... Get ready. This website is full of the most frustrating people on the internet. They're not really into evidence. Good luck to you.

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »
People do leave from and arrive back to the same location but this does not prove the Earth is round?

You can think it makes sense they were traveling on a globe but that is only your words. Even if others agree with you that does not make it a fact. They could just as well be mistaken.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 06:00:56 PM »

jtlondon... Get ready. This website is full of the most frustrating people on the internet. They're not really into evidence. Good luck to you.

It's all good - I'm finding it fascinating: either they know it's rubbish in which case they are doing sterling work in keeping up the pretence or they genuinely believe it's true contrary to all rational observations, viewing it as an anomaly whilst presumably believing in oxygen and genetics and their ability to hear, feel and taste, as well as all the other verifiable answers science has provided as to what is going on in this universe we inhabit.

It's such an arbitrary line in the sand, but fascinating none the less.

The Earth is definitely round by the way.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »

It's all good - I'm finding it fascinating: either they know it's rubbish in which case they are doing sterling work in keeping up the pretence or they genuinely believe it's true contrary to all rational observations, viewing it as an anomaly whilst presumably believing in oxygen and genetics and their ability to hear, feel and taste, as well as all the other verifiable answers science has provided as to what is going on in this universe we inhabit.

Worthy of a psychology thesis no doubt.

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 06:04:27 PM »
People do leave from and arrive back to the same location but this does not prove the Earth is round?

You can think it makes sense they were traveling on a globe but that is only your words. Even if others agree with you that does not make it a fact. They could just as well be mistaken.

Well if they headed in a straight line then yes, necessarily, they would have had to have journeyed around a spherical object.

Also what does 'you can think it makes sense they were travelling on a globe but that is only your words' mean? It doesn't mean anything, impressively so. about 12 words, and literally no meaning - pretty impressive considering you're using language, the sole purpose of which is to convey meaning.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 06:07:47 PM »

Worthy of a psychology thesis no doubt.

Such an odd thing to hold on to. If you believe in the Illuminati then you can at least leverage that for some sense of injustice and use it as an excuse for things in your life that haven't worked out.

Whether the Earth is round or flat (it's round, btw) it makes no difference to your life. It is what it is (it's round, obviously) and that's that.

As I said, I'm sort of impressed!

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,59811.0.html#.UkDl_p_n_qA

Here is a thread that Alex Tomasovich made. He is one of the more astute RE'rs around here, especially when it comes to mathematics and non-euclidean geometry (which coincidentally is probably the major issue for FE'rs). I also provided links in that thread to many of the unanswered and unexplored evidences that can be performed to prove the earth is round. It should give you an idea of what to expect here.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:15:00 PM by rottingroom »

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,59811.0.html#.UkDl_p_n_qA

Here is a thread that Alex Tomasovich made. He is one of the more astute RE'rs around here, especially when it comes to mathematics and non-euclidean geometry (which coincidentally is probably the major issue for FE'rs). I also provided links in that thread to many of the unanswered and unexplored evidences that can be performed to prove the earth is round. It should give you an idea of what to expect here.

Lovely. Aren't all RE'rs astute though, given the alternative?

I was noticing the dismissal of evidence in the threads I was reading and Alex sums all the objections up very well. I always find it interesting to see evidence being rejected out of hand as unreliable for a range of reasons, on the basis of a very unreasonable and non-verifiable assumption that it is, or normally just 'could be', unreliable.

Things which are true are generally explicable in their entirety. Things which aren't, well, aren't - why people who hold beliefs inspite of the lack of easily accessible evidence can't see that is beyond me

?

REphoenix

• Round Earther
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 07:34:31 PM »
Hi jtlondon. :D I'm RE too but you are actually wrong about travelling around the world. If you look at one of their maps it is actually possible. But anyway, don't expect evidence. I can't seem to get any no matter how hard I try.
Anyone with a phoenix avatar is clearly amazing.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 07:36:57 PM »
Hi jtlondon. :D I'm RE too but you are actually wrong about travelling around the world. If you look at one of their maps it is actually possible. But anyway, don't expect evidence. I can't seem to get any no matter how hard I try.

No its not possible on one of their maps. Not if you travel in a straight line.

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »

How is it possible to circumnavigate a flat earth and arrive in the same place after one full circuit, unless you go underneath the flat earth of course? I'm fairly sure that's right. Maybe you can do a circuit, but i'm talking about a straight line journey not a loop.

I'm not holding out any hope for evidence, but that's because I know that there isn't any. Discussions about the existence or otherwise of God are more valid that what goes on here - it's that fact that's so entertaining

?

REphoenix

• Round Earther
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »

No its not possible on one of their maps. Not if you travel in a straight line.
True. I just meant if you followed the equator around then it is possible.

?

REphoenix

• Round Earther
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 07:42:52 PM »
I'm not holding out any hope for evidence, but that's because I know that there isn't any. Discussions about the existence or otherwise of God are more valid that what goes on here - it's that fact that's so entertaining

I just love it when someone who has some sense decides to post. It restores my faith in humanity (a bit). And the bold part is why I am still here. Welcome to the FES.

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »

I just love it when someone who has some sense decides to post. It restores my faith in humanity (a bit). And the bold part is why I am still here. Welcome to the FES.

I love to see it when people take great leaps of imagination in order to try and explain the already explicable in a more complicated way: I wonder what drives people to do it? Obviously all my knowledge is received as well, I'm not the one doing the science, but it's definitely more reliable and hence forms part of the 'best answer we have right now' aspect that is the reality of scientific knowledge. Someone mentioned it before but the application of Occam's Razor is always the best way to approach things like this I think.

Also, the Earth is obviously round. I wonder what they think is going on with our atmosphere? Do they believe in gravity or not? If so, you have to have a round Earth surely, it's a de facto outcome of the existence of gravity.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »
Traveling "eastwards" or "westwards" doesn't take you in a straight line, not even on the Round Earth model.

?

REphoenix

• Round Earther
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 07:57:02 PM »

I love to see it when people take great leaps of imagination in order to try and explain the already explicable in a more complicated way: I wonder what drives people to do it? Obviously all my knowledge is received as well, I'm not the one doing the science, but it's definitely more reliable and hence forms part of the 'best answer we have right now' aspect that is the reality of scientific knowledge. Someone mentioned it before but the application of Occam's Razor is always the best way to approach things like this I think.

Also, the Earth is obviously round. I wonder what they think is going on with our atmosphere? Do they believe in gravity or not? If so, you have to have a round Earth surely, it's a de facto outcome of the existence of gravity.
I completely agree with you. Why disagree with something as basic as the shape of the earth? It's already been proven to be round. If you need imagination and pure faith to believe something, then why believe it at all?

Also, lot of your questions are answered in the FAQ.(not all though)

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »

That's the best part. Gravity doesn't exist either. Instead the earth has been accelerating upwards at 9.8 m/sē ever since it itself has existed. Try and calculate that speed. It's stupid awesome!

?

REphoenix

• Round Earther
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 07:59:52 PM »
Traveling "eastwards" or "westwards" doesn't take you in a straight line, not even on the Round Earth model.
Tom we all know what he means by a straight line so don't try and pick at his wording to avoid the main issue.

To clarify: by a straight line he means that you don't have to turn.

Rushy

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 08:00:09 PM »
And RE'ers talk about FE circlejerks...  ::)

?

spoon

• Flat Earth Editor
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 08:02:47 PM »
QFT
I work nights are get the feeling of impennding doom for things most people take for granted.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »

Good thing nobody does that then right tom? Ships and planes alike travel using the great circle. BTW traveling eastward or westward at least along the equator does take you in a straight line unlike at least one of your models while the other model ignored great circles altogether.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 08:12:43 PM »

Its not a circle jerk. Getting the guy up to speed.  ;)

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »

Travelling in a straight line takes you in a straight line (and only on the Round Earth model, or Earth as I call it).

Travelling in a straight line would necessarily takes you off the edge of a finite lat Earth. I've never heard of that happening and you know full well that that's the sort of thing that people would love to talk about/hear about. I reckon there'd even be some sort of organisation who protected people against that - we have the ones who react to all the other adverse effects of nature - coast guard, mountain rescue, early responders, paramedics - never heard of the Edge of the World Guards though, even though they'd obviously be prime for a reality TV show. You'd think falling off the edge of the world would have come up at least once by now, in any form of media and yet it hasn't. Strange to think isn't it.

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »

Do we?

Cor, what are we like eh?

Why it was just yesterday that we were talking about FE Circlejerks for the 5th time this week and I thought 'I hope that I don't act hypocritically in relation to this scathing criticism of FE circlejerks that I'm currently dishing out with my friends - hope know one sees me agreeing with some other people based on our shared comprehension of logic, that'd be pathetic'

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »

Travelling in a straight line takes you in a straight line (and only on the Round Earth model, or Earth as I call it).

Travelling in a straight line would necessarily takes you off the edge of a finite lat Earth. I've never heard of that happening and you know full well that that's the sort of thing that people would love to talk about/hear about. I reckon there'd even be some sort of organisation who protected people against that - we have the ones who react to all the other adverse effects of nature - coast guard, mountain rescue, early responders, paramedics - never heard of the Edge of the World Guards though, even though they'd obviously be prime for a reality TV show. You'd think falling off the edge of the world would have come up at least once by now, in any form of media and yet it hasn't. Strange to think isn't it.

Don't worry FE has you covered there too. If there is anything to cover up about anything you can bet you'll hear about the one boogey institution to rule them all. N-A-S-A.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »
How do you travel in a perfectly straight line in the middle of the ocean?

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 08:25:11 PM »
How do you travel in a perfectly straight line in the middle of the ocean?

What's your angle here Tom? Considering I've traveled in a perfectly straight line in the middle of the ocean myself I can't fathom what problems you are trying to deceive me with.