why use satallite dishes

• 72 Replies
why use satallite dishes
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:38:01 AM »
for the sake of my argument im going to us sky tv for example but their are many more satellite based tv services.

so satellites don't exist and instead their are transmitting towers that broadcast the singles instead. so sky pretend to use satellite to broadcast their programs to millions of uk residence, all oh who also require a satellite dish on their homes all pointing at the same point in the sky.

why all the trouble? why not just say they use broadcast towers instead? why lie and say they use satellites which which require duping all its customers which must cost allot especial considering all the houses need dishes that on the most part are included in the installation package? all the staff would need paying off for thier silence plus hidden broadcast towers.

plenty of other company's use broadcast towers or cable networks to provide tv services at the same price and in some cases cheaper than sky tv. so what is it in for sky to pretend to use satellites when it would be cheaper to just tell the truth?

also and i actually dont know the answer to this but can a satellite dish even pick up a signal from a ground based broadcast tower? do they use the same kind of signals?

Re: why use satallite dishes
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »
Strattelites?

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »
Their is 0 evidence of stratilites existence. I'd be more inclined to believe that towers broadcast the signal, which I don't believe either.

?

Thork

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 12:01:48 PM »
Their is 0 evidence of stratilites existence. I'd be more inclined to believe that towers broadcast the signal, which I don't believe either.
When you say Zero evidence, you mean no evidence at all and apart from the fact that a company called Sanswire make them and show them to people, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever. Please do not look at the picture below. Its totally irrelevant.

As is the wiki page on stratellites.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratellite
Nothing to see here. Zero evidence. Move along to another thread please.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »
Your own evidence says that this is not a commercially avalible service and has spent many years in development. Sat tv had been around for decades. Sats in general have been around for 50 years and this stratilite company has only just come up with a commercially viable device that even now isn't avalible for use? Why can't wee se these devices all over the place? At sunset and sunrise would be extremely visible plus where are they built? Who builds them? Their must be hundreds if not thousands dotted all over the globe yet like I said, no credible evidence. Nice try.

?

Thork

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »
Your own evidence says that this is not a commercially avalible service and has spent many years in development. Sat tv had been around for decades. Sats in general have been around for 50 years and this stratilite company has only just come up with a commercially viable device that even now isn't avalible for use? Why can't wee se these devices all over the place? At sunset and sunrise would be extremely visible plus where are they built? Who builds them? Their must be hundreds if not thousands dotted all over the globe yet like I said, no credible evidence. Nice try.
Whoa, why are you trying to move the goal posts?

You just said there was zero evidence for Stratellites. Not 2 minutes later you are now an expert and telling me whether or not they are commercially viable.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,51351.msg1259442.html#msg1259442
^ That post is over a year old. So I've known about them for more than a year at least. Actually several. I'm clearly much more of an expert on them than you and won't be putting any stock into your 2 minute assessment of something you thought was imaginary but 3 minutes ago.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »
Okey my mistake for not bieng clear no evidence of stratilites in commercial use. The wiki says that they could need regular maintiace and multiple units to cover large areas continuously. So where is the support infrastructure for all the many stratilites construction and maintiace facilities? Crashes, because at some point in certain one would have. The wiki says that this texh is a long way off and te unit in your pic is a display model ( mock up)which was dismanteld shortly after the exhibition.Ad this still dosent answers origional question. Why the deception? Why not just say they use stratilites or broadcast towers, they are a comercial company just interested in profit. The medium it transmits in makes no difference to them.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »
Whoa, why are you trying to move the goal posts?

Not at all.

You just said there was zero evidence for Stratellites. Not 2 minutes later you are now an expert and telling me whether or not they are commercially viable.

Since stratellites were given as an answer to the question posed in the OP, it's up to you to provide evidence that stratellites are being used to simulate satellite television service. 
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thork

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »
Their is 0 evidence of stratilites existence.

I'd happily provide evidence for them being used as well, but we have a fundamental problem here. I was challenged to prove something. I did. That was not acknowledged. Round Earthers just shabbily tried to change the subject rather than conceding that they were mistaken. And you are doing it again.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:18:23 PM by Thork »

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »
How can they already be in use? ??? Thier is no infrastructure maintenance facilities, construction facilities, breaker yards, command centres. None have ever been spotted in flight ( they are massive when ever discussed by ther designers )or on the ground ( the pic you used is a mock up used at tech shows) so let's have a look at your evidence should be interesting? Plus Answer my original question. Why does sky lie? Why not just tell the truth what do they gain from saying its from a satellite if its not? They charge about the same as virgin give it take a pound or two.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 02:14:43 PM »
I have a lovely idea. Maybe we should have a "search" function where one could type in "stratellite" and it would display the dozens of threads wherein this had been discussed before...
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 02:17:14 PM »
Thork baught it up. I know they don't  exist. So can anyone Anserw my origional question?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 02:32:11 PM »
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »
That site is assuming sats are real but in flat earth they are not. They use broadcast towers just like free view does. Free view provide hundreds of tv channels over normal airwaves using old style aerials. Why does sky pretend to use sats when you can obviously send hundreds of tv channels over normal airwaves.

Plus can sat dishes even pick up signals from a broadcast tower? I actualy don't know? If they can the why do free view use aerials?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »
The dish simply amplifies a weak signal.

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
Okay fair enough but why do sky lie? They don't charge a premium for the fact they use sats so why say they use them if infact they don't? What do the gain? If anything it cost them more to lie because they have to hide all the evidence pay off all the staff that know about it. It dosent make sense when all they have to do is say they use broadcast towers. The only reason I can see is that they do infact use sats.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »
Well, first satellite TV costs more than cable. So they charge more money. Second, the stratellite allows them a much broader footprint for coverage with less power output for transmission than any broadcast tower would make possible.

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »
Well my sky subscription is cheaper than virgin cable tv i had before it so not sure about that one. And a if a single stratilite was used over England then depending on where you were you would have to point the dish at a different angle to get a singnal because its only a few miles in the air instead of 23,000 miles which is where geo orbit sats are locate. So that  doesn't  realy work either. Plus all the stuf i said about stratilites not existing dent help their case either.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:13:14 PM by Pythagoras »

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 03:24:56 PM »
Well that would really depend on the location of the stratellite, wouldn't it?

RealScientist

• Science does not care for Earth's shape
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »
You really need a class on Trigonometry. What you are saying is such an insult to your own intellect and knowledge that if any one else said it, moderators would have to be called.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 04:14:15 PM »
You really need a class on Trigonometry. What you are saying is such an insult to your own intellect and knowledge that if any one else said it, moderators would have to be called.

Ironically, personal attacks are not allowed and a moderator should be called for your post.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
When you say Zero evidence, you mean no evidence at all and apart from the fact that a company called Sanswire make them and show them to people, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever. Please do not look at the picture below. Its totally irrelevant.

As is the wiki page on stratellites.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratellite
Nothing to see here. Zero evidence. Move along to another thread please.
Good work Thork this is very interesting.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 05:43:08 PM »

Really? Perhaps you can check my math for me. But if a stratellite was at a height of 12 miles and the receivers are at a distance of 700 miles and 400 miles, the elevation changes less than a degree. That's less than one pinky width at arm's length.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 06:12:30 PM »

Really? Perhaps you can check my math for me. But if a stratellite was at a height of 12 miles and the receivers are at a distance of 700 miles and 400 miles, the elevation changes less than a degree. That's less than one pinky width at arm's length.

Of course at 400 miles, that works out 1.7 degrees above the horizon.  At 700 miles, it's .98 degrees.  How much signal do you suppose will be lost due to ground clutter, hills, buildings, trees, etc.?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 08:42:37 PM »
That's probably why you need a dish.

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »
Using your triganomatry then where is the stratilite located that sky use? Should be quite easy to figure out then. Baring in mind that every tv receiving satailite in Western Europe points the the same satellite. Plus your saying that this stratilite is at 63,000 feet. That's only twice as high as a jet. Baring in mind you can quite easily see a jet at 30,000 feet and a stratilite is many times te size of a jet then it would be very easy to see especially at sun set and sun rise?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:03:07 PM by Pythagoras »

RealScientist

• Science does not care for Earth's shape
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 12:16:55 AM »
That's probably why you need a dish.
A dish that has to have a direct line of view to the satellite. Have you seen any antennas pointed almost horizontally? Also, the signal at that frequency cannot pass through a building. Long gone are the times when you had antennas that had to have a visual to the transmitter on the ground, and people had to have posts, sometimes several meters long, on the ceilings of their homes to get the signal. Have you ever seen a dish on top of a pole several meters long? Because in a modern city most people do not have a visual to places just a degree or two above the horizontal line.
And 400 or 700 kilometers is nothing compared with the size of the countries that are totally covered with satellite signal. Where I live there are places with less than ten people per square kilometer. Are you suggesting that they have a stratellite for just a few thousand potential customers? Maybe for just a few tens of actual customers, each one paying a few bucks per month?
Anyhow, since my basic objection is about your egregious pretended ignorance about trigonometry, lets look at any antenna in your own neighborhood. Does it have the receptor near the top of the dish, or near the bottom? I can assure you that the receptor is near the bottom of the dish because the dish is pointing at a place high up in the sky, not to a place just a degree or two above the horizontal.

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 09:56:37 AM »
okey so i have done a bit or research and made a funky picture to entertain you all and to help illustrate my point.

a stratillite cannot replicate what is seen in the real world. im sorry but it just cant and i will show you bellow. i used a website called dish pointer which uses your location and your choice of satellite to find where to point you dish. the website is ( http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/2007/08/01/alignment-calculator-for-sky-digital/ ) feel free to replicate my results. im sure you cant but will accept if you can. bellow is a picture i created using the info from the website. i tried to copy the picture from the website but couldn't so transposed the lines roughly onto a map. like i said you can replicate it yourself using the website.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

notice how all the lines seem to converge further south down near the equator. in Minsk a dish points almost adsactly south but in Madrid you have to point it south east. and varying degrees between the two points. the adsact directions required can be found by putting these locations into the website provided. feel free to double check. (im using 2E Astra 2A-B-D)

also look at the coverage of the same satallite
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/astrafootprint2a.gif/
how does one stratillite cover such a large are? remembering that all dishes are pointing towards a point over the equator just of the coast of Africa.

more importantly this wasn't my original question. i asked why sky would lie. the only reason given so far is they can charge more money. but this simply isn't true either.

this is sky charges.
Monthly costs
Sky TV 21.50
- Sky Entertainment
One off costs
Sky+ box  Free
TV standard set-up  Free Free: Sky+ Install
Benefits and extras
On Demand Free
25 M&S eVoucher Free Your voucher will be emailed to you within 45 days of activating your service.
Monthly cost 21.50
One off cost 0.00

this is virgin tv

One off cost   Monthly cost

Broadband L

TV M

Phone M

Extras

Virgin Media Super Hub

TiVo 500GB box

Virgin Phone line      
Virgin Phone line
Set up costs
Installation, set up and demo
Total cost
Monthly total       32.99
One off payment added to first bill   49.95   
One off payment to be paid today

so in fact sky is far cheaper than its competitors. so it defintly isn't racking in more cash. but to pretend to use satellites would cost vast amounts of money paying off employees to keep the quiet. and hiding the real source of its signals and all the secret stratilites required to cover such a large are ( which my diagrams also prove impossible)

so any thoughts and sugestions?

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
Hmmm all the flat earthers ran away. Shame.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »
A dish that has to have a direct line of view to the satellite. Have you seen any antennas pointed almost horizontally?

Quote from: Pythagoras
how does one stratillite cover such a large are?
It could not. It's been stated many times that you would need more stratellites than satellites. This entire discussion has taken place before, which is why I directed you to the search function.