Why blame NASA for all this?

• 5 Replies
Why blame NASA for all this?
« on: January 29, 2016, 08:35:35 AM »
I'm a Round Earther, as you call it, and just created this account, though I've looked over a few of the debates here.
One thing I see constantly popping up in every argument is NASA, and my question is, well, why accuse NASA?

NASA didn't start this, the Ancient Greeks did, nor is NASA in any way more special than any other institution.
Why not blame the Chinese Space Agency, the Indian, the Japanese, or every single observatory in the world? Why not blame GPS manufacturers and aerospace engineering companies? I don't really get the obsession with NASA.

?

Jadyyn

Re: Why blame NASA for all this?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 08:55:53 AM »
My cut on this is simple. Astronomy proves/supports or disproves/falsifies/destroys/annihilates any Earth model. If the sky doesn't work, no amount of hand-waving or BS will help. Astronomy is highly mathematical and photographical (especially binoculars, cameras and telescopes). It is a nemesis to FE models.

NASA, with everything it does relating to space (including satellites), is very much tied to astronomy. It is arguably THE most dangerous organization on Earth to FEers. Everything it does has to be wrong or "fake" or a conspiracy. There can not even be one shred of truth to it. FEers can't allow even a crack or their whole FE FANTASY falls apart. Hence the attacks...
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 08:59:49 AM »
Just because... Welcome.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 10:22:45 PM »
I'm a Round Earther, as you call it, and just created this account, though I've looked over a few of the debates here.
One thing I see constantly popping up in every argument is NASA, and my question is, well, why accuse NASA?

NASA didn't start this, the Ancient Greeks did, nor is NASA in any way more special than any other institution.
Why not blame the Chinese Space Agency, the Indian, the Japanese, or every single observatory in the world? Why not blame GPS manufacturers and aerospace engineering companies? I don't really get the obsession with NASA.

I believe the NASA link started in 1956 with Samuel Shelton.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat_Earth_societies#Samuel_Shenton:_The_Flat_Earth_Society
In 1956, Samuel Shenton, a songwriter by trade, created the International Flat Earth Society.    . . . .    When satellite images showed Earth as a sphere, Shenton remarked: "It's easy to see how a photograph like that could fool the untrained eye"

So satellites and anything that the could disprove the flat earth had to be deemed fake!
It's obvious, what else could they do? Tell the truth, outrageous!

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 10:53:55 PM »
Were we to prove NASA wrong before they published material?

Falsification? Psh. An outrageous concept.
Quantum Ab Hoc

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 12:31:34 AM »
Were we to prove NASA wrong before they published material?

Falsification? Psh. An outrageous concept.

I won't try to defend NASA, they are big enough to handle that, but to me there seems to be overwhelming evidence for the numerous Geostationary satellites and plenty of photos of the ISS.

On top of that the behaviour of GPS and satellite phones to me fits exactly what I would expect for satellite based systems.

GPS devices certainly have coverage in areas with no phone towers for hundreds of kilometres and "satellites" drop out exactly as expected when hidden by cliffs and overhead obstructions. I have use handheld  GPS devices (not smartphones) numerous times in aircraft and the only "satellites" that lock on are those "visible" through the window or windscreen on light planes.

Also I have used a satellite phone, back some 13 years ago when the mobile (cell) phone network in outback Australia was very sparse.
What was instructive (and embarrassing) was that we took the satellite phone to the tip of Cape York thinking that we would have a phone connection and no-one would! We were a bit too smart for our good - we had almost no signal, but others with CDMA phones from nearby phone towers had good signal. To top it off we had a CDMA phone, just didn't take it on the walk to the Cape.

Yes, we found out too late that the footprint of the satellite Vodafone was using did not cover the top of Cape York. Live and learn!

So, maybe not NASA but someone put those satellites up there.