Please explain the sun setting on Horizon for flat earth theory

• 21 Replies
Please explain the sun setting on Horizon for flat earth theory
« on: January 07, 2016, 12:10:22 AM »
Earlier I had a question which I could not explain myself and it was answered. Can someone please explain how the sun can set on the horizon using flat earth theory. Thank you.

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
Re: Please explain the sun setting on Horizon for flat earth theory
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 08:12:58 AM »
It is very simple really. The sun is not near as big or as far away as you think. It is only 100-200 miles up from my estimations. So when the Sun is 7500 miles away it appears to "Set" but in reality it is just too far away to see. It is literally the same height above your head just on the other "corner" of the flat earth.

Here is an experiment to prove my point. Today, when the Sun is on the Horizon about to set, Go to http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html and find out what location the Sun is directly over. Then go to Google maps and calculate the distance from you to that location.

Then take a good look at that sunset, and ask yourself "Is the Sun really 93 million miles away and DIRECTLY OVER NEW ZEALAND on a BALL EARTH? Darn near to the edge of ANTARCTICA???"

This is why Weather balloons and rockets can only reach about 30 miles up, and everything after that is faked with hollywood special effects. This is the lie that deceiveth the whole world. The earth is flat, and the Egyptians, Greeks, Hebrews, Romans, Persians, Babylonians and even your not-so-distant ancestors knew it.
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:58:33 AM »
Nope, any society with any kind of scientific knowledge knew the earth was round. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth
The myth of the flat Earth is the modern misconception that the prevailing cosmological view during the Middle Ages in Europe saw the Earth as flat, instead of spherical.
The heliocentric/geocentric argument (the one Galileo was in) wouldn't make sense if they thought the earth was round.
Also why couldn't the sun be directly above New Zealand.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:04:04 AM by Empirical »

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:01:16 AM »
Newzeland.

What's 'Newzeland'?

Your local paper shop?

Oh, you are a doozy, aintcha, 'Empirical'?
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:24:12 AM »
It is very simple really. The sun is not near as big or as far away as you think. It is only 100-200 miles up from my estimations.
Can you take us through your calculations?

So when the Sun is 7500 miles away it appears to "Set" but in reality it is just too far away to see.
Right.  So that why, every evening, the sun just gets smaller and smaller until you can't see it.  Oh hang on, that's exactly what doesn't happen.

Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 11:47:40 AM »
If the earth is flat then how does Australia get longer daylight hours during the winter?
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 12:12:48 PM »
If the earth is flat then how does Australia get longer daylight hours during the winter?

The Sun's further out so it would be more over Australia, and so will be visible for longer. That's one of the questions they do have an answer to.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 12:37:30 PM »

The Sun's further out so it would be more over Australia, and so will be visible for longer. That's one of the questions they do have an answer to.

But if its more than the average then that means the sun is slowing down for that particular season. Shouldn't we notice such a change in the sun's speed especially up north?

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 01:01:15 PM »
Irrelevant gibberish

Don't think we haven't noticed your "explanation" wasn't an explanation.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 01:50:08 PM »

But if its more than the average then that means the sun is slowing down for that particular season. Shouldn't we notice such a change in the sun's speed especially up north?

No it doesn't, it just means it's taking a different route.

Think of the Sun's light as a circle of fixed radius (which may or may not be the case, but it's an illustration). If the Sun itself is further in, only half a radius, say, would cover Australia: as it moves by, there's less daylight. Move the Sun outwards, and a full radius will be going over Australia, so there's much more time for it to be exposed to sunlight: not because the Sun moves slowly, but because more of the Sun's light would reach it.
It's a matter of range, not speed.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 01:59:05 PM »

No it doesn't, it just means it's taking a different route.

Think of the Sun's light as a circle of fixed radius (which may or may not be the case, but it's an illustration). If the Sun itself is further in, only half a radius, say, would cover Australia: as it moves by, there's less daylight. Move the Sun outwards, and a full radius will be going over Australia, so there's much more time for it to be exposed to sunlight: not because the Sun moves slowly, but because more of the Sun's light would reach it.
It's a matter of range, not speed.

They may explain that but what about the most southern part of Australia and the surrounding islands? They get even more sun. The sun must be moving pretty slow for that to happen.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
They may explain that but what about the most southern part of Australia and the surrounding islands? They get even more sun. The sun must be moving pretty slow for that to happen.
Or the Sun's just closer to them.

It just depends what path through the circle of the Sun's light they take: chord or diameter.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 06:32:10 PM »
It is very simple really. The sun is not near as big or as far away as you think. It is only 100-200 miles up from my estimations. So when the Sun is 7500 miles away it appears to "Set" but in reality it is just too far away to see. It is literally the same height above your head just on the other "corner" of the flat earth.

Here is an experiment to prove my point. Today, when the Sun is on the Horizon about to set, Go to http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html and find out what location the Sun is directly over. Then go to Google maps and calculate the distance from you to that location.

Then take a good look at that sunset, and ask yourself "Is the Sun really 93 million miles away and DIRECTLY OVER NEW ZEALAND on a BALL EARTH? Darn near to the edge of ANTARCTICA???"

This is why Weather balloons and rockets can only reach about 30 miles up, and everything after that is faked with hollywood special effects. This is the lie that deceiveth the whole world. The earth is flat, and the Egyptians, Greeks, Hebrews, Romans, Persians, Babylonians and even your not-so-distant ancestors knew it.

Questions for iWitness :

I fail to see why any thing you say makes sense ?

What is your calculation as to the distance to the horizon in your photograph ?
Are you saying that the sun is at the same distance as the horizon ?
Are you going to illustrate the methods and results of your calculations ?
In your photograph, isn't there a distinct line where the earth and sky meet at the horizon ?
I read one flat earth explanation of the horizon is -quote- "The horizon is an indistinct blur which  fades away into some infinite distance."-Unquote. Doesn't your photograph refute this statement ?
Or are you going to say the photograph has been photoshopped to show the horizon as it is shown in your photograph ?

If the sun was setting on the horizon as in the place in your photograph, wouldn't it be rising or at some other point in the sky in any other part of the world, depending on the time of day ?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:33:39 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 07:05:49 PM »
Let's see... 100 miles up, 7500 miles away...
elevation angle = tan-1(100/7500) = tan-1(1/75) = 0.76.

If the Sun is 200 instead of 100 miles up, it would be even higher, about 1.5.

So the Sun is still 1.5 times above its own diameter (roughly 0.5) above the horizon[nb]Best case, using iWitness' own numbers.[/nb]. Your own picture shows it lower than that, and probably all of us have seen the Sun on or only only partially above the horizon many times[nb]Assuming that we go outside every now and then. This may be a problem with some flat-earth proponents, who seem to be satisfied explaining the entire universe by "looking out their window"; it would certainly explain their rather limited understanding of so many things.[/nb]. So that hypothesis is shown to be obviously wrong by simple observation.

Well, yes, it is a long way off (about 93 million miles away is a good bet) and a few degrees due north of (but not "directly over") New Zealand[nb]Unless by "directly over" you mean "due north of", which is wrong.[/nb] while it's setting in the western USA. It's all about the angles, which is why the spherical model of the Earth works and the flat model doesn't.

Not so sure about "Darn near to the edge of ANTARCTICA" though. The sub-solar point is still well north of the coast of Antarctica at that time on this date. It's still north of the northern part of the North Island of New Zealand, which is subtropical.

Picture, provided by iWitness, showing the Sun on the horizon.

This is why Weather balloons and rockets can only reach about 30 miles up
What is why weather balloons and rockets can only reach about 30 miles up?

and everything after that is faked with hollywood special effects.
Since your premise is wrong, the conclusion is wrong meaningless. [Edit.]

This is the lie that deceiveth the whole world. The earth is flat, and the Egyptians, Greeks, Hebrews, Romans, Persians, Babylonians and even your not-so-distant ancestors knew it.
Maybe some of them thought they knew it. If they did, they were, quite simply, wrong. It happens.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:09:47 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 08:33:12 PM »
We await the explanations, methods and result of iWitness' computations ?
Please explain. I am sure there are others of us (self included )who don't have as high an IQ and intelligence as yours ?

Another question for iWitness  ?
When was the last time (if ever) you visited an astronomical observatory ?

I can answer that.  I visited the Mc Donald Observatory  on Mount Locke, near Fort Davis, Texas , several years ago. I learned a few things and observed a few things. Highly recommended. Oh, sorry, of course you would never go there, iWitness. Nothing but demons, Satanists, Satan Worshippers and brain-washed dummies....and goodness only knows what else....is out there.

Also the position of the sun is very simple.
I am located in the North Central section of Texas in the USA.
That photograph could have been taken near sunset - say 6:00 PM - on a farm on the prairie nearby. (Sunset was at 5:37 PM Local Time today)
It is 12:00 AM Midnight in London and 12:00 PM Noon somewhere on the Pacific Ocean. That is where the sun was at that time....Unless iWitness can refute that by his computations. LOL.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:03:52 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 03:19:12 AM »
Newzeland.

What's 'Newzeland'?

Your local paper shop?

Oh, you are a doozy, aintcha, 'Empirical'?
I didn't catch this till just now, the quote I saw was:
Also why couldn't the sun be directly above New Zealand.
Looks like New Zealand to me, maybe I'm a bit late!
Congratulations chief nit-picker, been promoted?

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 03:33:00 AM »
Earlier I had a question which I could not explain myself and it was answered. Can someone please explain how the sun can set on the horizon using flat earth theory. Thank you.
You do it by hand-waving and claiming some impossible perspective properties. Or that the atmosphere can somehow bend the light in impossible way. That is the best answer you can get here.

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »
Where did iWitness go ?  I had a few questions for him to answer.

Chorus:

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »

Long since vanished, same as Vauxy. Fairly sure they were the same person: Vauxhall admitted as much.

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 04:44:57 PM »

Long since vanished, same as Vauxy. Fairly sure they were the same person: Vauxhall admitted as much.

iWitness also seems to be a close relative of sandokhan. Both of which seem to have amazing powers of disappearing.

I'm aferd we ain't never gonna be able to find out how to figger out how the sun is on 100 or 200 miles up thar in the sky  ::) :P ??? Guess alla us we un's are gonna remain in iggerrunce unless iWitness ain't comin' back and adjecits us. :(
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:56:58 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 08:40:46 AM »

iWitness also seems to be a close relative of sandokhan. Both of which seem to have amazing powers of disappearing.

I'm aferd we ain't never gonna be able to find out how to figger out how the sun is on 100 or 200 miles up thar in the sky  ::) :P ??? Guess alla us we un's are gonna remain in iggerrunce unless iWitness ain't comin' back and adjecits us. :(

Actually, looks like iWitness has been around somewhat recently:
 http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=65435.msg1746218#msg1746218

Here's hoping for more content.

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 02:14:11 AM »
Sun movement explained by Flat Earther: Entropian201211:52 AM

Maybe the sun stays there for no other reason then god wills it.  All we know about the sun is what we can observe and what the scientific organizations tell us and show us.  And for all we know they are corrupt.  I'm not saying that is the case but it is possible that we are living in a scientific dictatorship with the purpose to hide the truth. Again this may be pure paranoia on my part it's a plausible and intriguing idea. 

:-X  ???

I have no more questions.