Favorite video games?

• 8 Replies

TheEarthIsASphere.

• who fucking cares what shape the earth is lol
Favorite video games?
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:44:23 PM »
This just a general thread to post your favorite video games. To make a post for it, just say what your favorite game is, and describe why it's your favorite game. Let's not start any flame wars either on which game is better, but feel free to discuss a game. An example post might look like:

My personal favorite right now is The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I just like the openness of the game and the general ability to "do what you want" in a vast fantasy world. I enjoy the main story, and the clever side quests one experiences. The concept of laws and punishments is an intriguing system that I liked as well.

Have fun! :)
Quā ratiōne nōn redimus ad senectēs societātēs sapientium patrum? Quā ratiōne relinquimus eārum sapientiam?

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
Re: Favorite video games?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »
Split between Fallout 4(Because settlements) or Minecraft(because circuitry).
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 02:18:49 AM »
I have no real favorite game, but I am going to buy Creeper world 3: Arc eternal. I have played all the other free online games, and I love the concept of the Creeper world games. Complex and good brain-exercise, and one of the few good games which will work on my crappy mac.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 12:24:39 PM »
I second Fallout 4. Such a big world and Codsworth is definitely the best video game companion. Still prefer Skyrim though.
Part of the conspiracy. Illuminati, Lizard men or just plain crazy. Take your pick, all three are on this forum.

TheEarthIsASphere.

• who fucking cares what shape the earth is lol
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 12:25:30 PM »
I second Fallout 4. Such a big world and Codsworth is definitely the best video game companion. Still prefer Skyrim though.

Agreed.
Quā ratiōne nōn redimus ad senectēs societātēs sapientium patrum? Quā ratiōne relinquimus eārum sapientiam?

Xenos2112

• Heaven cannot brook two suns nor earth two masters
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 05:50:39 AM »
Alright, y'all don't know me like most other places I've answered this question, so I can't just take for granted that y'all know the greatest game ever (OF ALL TIME) is Goldeneye 64.

That being stated, here's a short list:

Goldeneye 64:  This is the pinnacle of gaming in my opinion.  It's the greatest game ever made, it's got hours of replay value, and there is YET to be ANYTHING that comes close to it's multiplayer experience.  Pretty much defined what FPS video games should be like, and many after followed it's model (with arguable improvements on the interface), including for multiplayer, but none have, as far as *I* am concerned, recaptured that magic.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3:  Outside of some old Atari games (Freeway, Asteroids, two or three others I cannot remember the name for), Sonic the Hedgehog was my first REAL game experience.  I was 4 when it came out, 5 when I played it, and 7 when I finally beat it.  I loved it.  It was a challenge, and one that I continued to test myself on--even today.  My record is just under 30 minutes from start to finish, and at one point in High School (before an injury that left me mostly blind in one eye and partially deaf), I could actually play through the entire first level with my eyes closed.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past:  While Ocarina of Time may hold the record as "Best Video Game in History" (it holds the most top 10 lists across all games), ALttP will always be my favorite.  The puzzles were fun, the story was AMAZING, and I thought it tied things up nicely at the end.  It was the Zelda games, along with Goldeneye 64, Azure Dreams, and to a lesser degree Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II that got me involved with game design in the first place.

Bioshock Infinite:  The story was compelling, the mechanics were amazing, and the setting was BEAUTIFUL.  Most people I've talked to don't get the ending, but as a fan of Multiverse Theory, it worked VERY nice for me.  Particularly when you hear (SPOILER) in (SPOILER) when (SPOILER) in the FIRST Bioshock game.  And how they tie together the fact that (SPOILER) and (SPOILER) are (SPOILER).  That was cool.  Plus, seriously, Troy Baker as Booker DeWitt.  What more can you ask for?

Bioshock:  The first (and only) video game that made me question who I was, what I believed, and why I believed it.  Deep, dark, scary, compelling, vivid characters, excellent gameplay, unique spin on the FPSRPG, and it was just...  Holy crap, I loved it.  Also the first game to make me cry at the end (I'm a father, stuff like that gets to me).  Yes, I played it good.  Because when I tried to play it evil, the first time I "harvested" a Little Sister, I literally had to throw up.  It made me physically sick.  Again, I'm a father, and stuff like that hits me HARD.  Particularly since...  no.  Just no.  Nevermind.  It's nauseating just thinking about it. 

Fallout 1-3Vegas (not played 4 yet):  Amazing games touching on a subject very near and very dear to my heart--The Apocalypse, and Life Thereafter.  I used to write short stories and fiction, that was a subject of mine.  Need to go back and work more on that.  But eh, lazy.  Gameplay for 1 & 2 is somewhat complex, but as a gamer with extensive experience in Turn-Style RPG/JRPG games, as well as RTS games, it was pretty simple for me to pick up on.  Fallout 3, everything changed, and it really opened up.  However, things for me REALLY kicked into gear with New Vegas--while I view it as MOSTLY an expansion pack for 3, it built on that and made it better--no more was it just brown EVERYWHERE, scenery changed, colorful landscape, colorful characters, and Rose of Sharon Cassidy.  Seriously, she made that game.  Playing female and taking certain perks, the dialogue you get with her is BEYOND hilarious (plus, it's really fun to get back at Benny THAT way).

Halo: Reach:  I don't even know where to start with this one.  I cried throughout the entire game (I was in Civil Air Patrol, our Wing Leader was a US Army Ranger, the Esprit de Corps he taught us, the bonds we made...).  Plus, drunken nights with my best mate Fluffy, my loverly wife Kori and her best mate Padfoot cheering us on, a sixer of Guinness chilled to a perfect 42 degrees, followed up with Brandy Alexanders...  Our crazy Canadians on the other end of chat--good times, man, good.  Friggin'.  Times.

Uh...  sorry, this is a topic I can go on for DAYS about if you let me--after all, I did go to school for simulation and game development, and the history of video games, what they mean to me, what games I play, what games I LIKE, what games I have in my (rather expansive) collection...  yeah.

This is why asking for "Favorite video games" (Plural) is a bad idea with me.  I didn't even start really touching on JRPGs, RTSs (my favorite TYPE of game, actually), point-and-click adventures, webbased games, simulators, sandboxers... 

Yeah, I can keep going.

And going.

And going,
~Xenos, the Energizer Bunny of Game Discussion
There is nothing impossible to him who will try.

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.

Alexander III of Macedon, Emperor of the Known World, 336-323 BC

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 08:12:28 AM »
Myth II: In an age of 2d RTS we have a physics based squad based 3d strategy. Made by Bungie, no less.

Marathon Infinity: Again, bungie. Blew all other FPS of the time out of the water both in content and story. Paved the way for Halo.

Super Mario Brothers: Defined what a side-scroller should be.

PacMan - Defined what a good arcade game should be

Zelda Link to the Past, Chronotrigger
Quantum Ab Hoc

?

ItsRoundBitch

• NASA is Awesome
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 06:30:30 PM »
kerbal space program for life
The earth is round Faggot.

Bullwinkle

• Flat Earth Curator
  • "Umm, WTF ???"
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 09:55:35 PM »
From way back when at the 25 arcade . . . Defender.

Yes, I am that old, shut up.