Gay marriage is now legal in the US

• 121 Replies

Socratic Amusement

• An Exercise in Witty Exploration
Re: Gay marriage is now legal in the US
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:48 PM »
What arguments are there in favor of the legalization of gay marriage are there that are not also applicable to the legalization of polygamy?
Will all the adults consent to a relationship between all participants? In other words, do they love each and every other of the participants, or is it the old mormon (for example, or current muslim) idea of owning x number of wifes.

According to gay marriage proponents, the law shouldn't stand in the way of love. If three consenting adults really want to be together, why shouldn't we let them get married, too?

No reason not to let them.
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing."

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2015, 10:46:04 PM »
Just to be more clear about my position on this issue, I don't believe that gay people are evil or any rubbish like that.

My dad is actually gay, and just to be clear he is my biological father.

My views on the whole gay marriage thing is that no matter what the law says gay people will still love each other.  All that marriage is is a legal contract binding them together, it has no effect on how much people love each other and many strait people live together without being married anyway.  I believe that gayness is simply a challenge that someone is born with, and people can get hormonal replacement medication which can help make gay people become strait.

What I have against gay marriage is that it shows that our society is embracing gayness, and it also means that gay adoption might become a thing.  Mostly the latter.  Children being raised by people of the same sex goes against the well established natural order of things and children need both masculine and feminine influence in their lives.

Again, these are just my views.  I am not presenting them as fact and I am not interested in debating them, I am just making it clear where I stand.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2015, 03:41:23 AM »
My views on the whole gay marriage thing is that no matter what the law says gay people will still love each other.  All that marriage is is a legal contract binding them together, it has no effect on how much people love each other and many strait people live together without being married anyway.  I believe that gayness is simply a challenge that someone is born with, and people can get hormonal replacement medication which can help make gay people become strait.
Wrong in both accounts. Hormonal replacement medication for homosexuality (not gayness, whatever that means) doesn't work. What it does, though, is cause great pain, depression, physical deformity, etc. It was the treatment, not the discovery that he was gay (he was quite open for the time about it) what led Alan Turing, a war hero, to suicide. Before the treatment the goverment he helped won WWII forced him to take, he was a semiprofessional athlete, and allegedly handsome. After it, he got obese, started to develop breasts, and became impotent. And no sign of gayness going away.

What I have against gay marriage is that it shows that our society is embracing gayness, and it also means that gay adoption might become a thing.  Mostly the latter.  Children being raised by people of the same sex goes against the well established natural order of things and children need both masculine and feminine influence in their lives.
First off, gay adoption is already thing. Second, I suppose you are against single parents having children too? And third, adoption is not the only way of gays to get children. I won't even get into the "well established natural order", since you know there is homosexuality on animals, and you know already that you can't force your religious preconceptions on others. Justify me why gay marriage (which is mostly about social recognition, proving loyalty, and getting tax exemptions/collective property) is bad, but single parents adopting isnt.

Again, these are just my views.  I am not presenting them as fact and I am not interested in debating them, I am just making it clear where I stand.
"I don't care about wether I'm right or wrong, even if I act according to those opinions, and therefore affect others"
The difference between you and me is that I will consider changing my opinion to a better one if its proven, therefore helping society.
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »
"I don't care about wether I'm right or wrong, even if I act according to those opinions, and therefore affect others"
The difference between you and me is that I will consider changing my opinion to a better one if its proven, therefore helping society.

Except it won't effect anyone else because I'm not really taking action.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2015, 12:11:09 PM »
Just to be more clear about my position on this issue, I don't believe that gay people are evil or any rubbish like that.

The mormon's look down on gay people. What made you become a mormon? yourself, or your mother?
It can't have been your father.
Something stinks about you and it's not your father's fanny.

Giggety.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2015, 02:24:38 PM »
The mormon's look down on gay people. What made you become a mormon? yourself, or your mother?

Giggety.

Actually Mormons don't look down on gay people.  I don't know where you heard that but it's not true.  It seems you have stumbles upon one of the many false rumors about Mormons.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »

Giggety.

Actually Mormons don't look down on gay people.  I don't know where you heard that but it's not true.  It seems you have stumbles upon one of the many false rumors about Mormons.
I happen to know a family who have a lesbian daughter. The family are mormon's. They tried to get their daughter baptised and all was well until she mentioned she was gay.

They refused to baptise her. That's the truth. She explained to me that she was glad, because she didn't believe in it and was only doing it to please the family, so it worked out well in the end, in that way.

You might need to look it up, it may have changed now but it was definitely the case years ago.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2015, 04:13:32 PM »
I happen to know a family who have a lesbian daughter. The family are mormon's. They tried to get their daughter baptised and all was well until she mentioned she was gay.

They refused to baptise her. That's the truth. She explained to me that she was glad, because she didn't believe in it and was only doing it to please the family, so it worked out well in the end, in that way.

You might need to look it up, it may have changed now but it was definitely the case years ago.
[/quote]

There are quite a few Mormons out there who make up their own standards and give the church a bad name.  They may not do it intentionally, but the damage is still done.  The church as a whole has never, does not, and will never believe that gay people are evil, inferior, or anything like that.

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »
I'm going to clear something up. Homosexuality is a mental disorder. Imagine you're a tribal human, if you refuse to reproduce, you will not continue your species, and specifically your DNA, through your children. But, this does not make it bad. We live in a new world, where these things barely matter at all. These people should get their own rights, to marry, to adopt, etc.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

?

homo superior

• make way
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2015, 05:24:04 PM »

I don't even..

Conversion therapy is quack science, you know that right?  ::)

?

BJ1234

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2015, 05:26:20 PM »
Well, homosexuals have been able to get married for a few days now.  So far, I have not been forced to get married to a man, or even asked out.  Guess the whole argument of "The gays pushing their views on straights" hasn't panned out.  Go figure. ::)

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2015, 06:11:21 PM »

Giggety.

The fact that you see it as a challenge means you see it as something unworthy of a healthy human. The fact that you think it is a medical condition means you have not taken the time to understand it. It is plainly obvious that you look down on homosexuality.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2015, 06:13:18 PM »
I'm going to clear something up. Homosexuality is a mental disorder. Imagine you're a tribal human, if you refuse to reproduce, you will not continue your species, and specifically your DNA, through your children. But, this does not make it bad. We live in a new world, where these things barely matter at all. These people should get their own rights, to marry, to adopt, etc.

Evidence points to it being genetic.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/10443/20141118/homosexuality-genetic-strongest-evidence.htm

Nice try at pop-sciencing the topic though. Please come back with more factoids later.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2015, 08:43:07 PM »

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/10443/20141118/homosexuality-genetic-strongest-evidence.htm

Nice try at pop-sciencing the topic though. Please come back with more factoids later.

My dad is gay while me and my three siblings are strait.  Nuff said.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2015, 09:08:06 PM »

And you should know that having genetic predispositions to a condition doesn't mean you will be effected by that condition.  Nuff said.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2015, 09:19:14 PM »

And you should know that having genetic predispositions to a condition doesn't mean you will be effected by that condition.  Nuff said.

How could gayness be genetic?  Isn't it one of those things that would make reproduction less likely?  I'm not saying that it's someone's choice to be gay but I don't see how it could be genetic.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2015, 10:10:11 PM »

How could gayness be genetic?  Isn't it one of those things that would make reproduction less likely?  I'm not saying that it's someone's choice to be gay but I don't see how it could be genetic.
Well, your dad, as you claim is gay.  Therefore, he passed his genes on.  Many people marry and have kids to hide their homosexuality.  Therefore the genes get passed on.

Also, it could be genes that are not dominant yet carried by both parents produces an offspring that exhibits homosexuality.  For example, my son has red hair, yet neither me nor my wife have red hair.  It is most likely that both my wife and I carry the genes for red hair, yet we have other genes that are either dominant over the red head genes or mask the red head genes.

Have you taken any genetics classes yet? If not, I suggest looking up Punnett squares.  It will show you how a trait, even if it is detrimental to reproduction, could still be passed on to offspring.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2015, 10:33:46 PM »

In addition to BJ1234's good recommendations, perhaps you should stop using the term "gayness" as it makes you sound like someone whose more inclined to sleep with their cousin than their teddy bear.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2015, 05:39:07 AM »

I don't know if it is genetic (like skin pigmentation) or ambiental (like fingerprints). What I am sure its that it is not a choice, and it is not learned. On regards on how could homosexuality be genetic, I think I recall reading a paper that basically stated that a specific combination of positive genes could be the cause of it. In that case, homosexuality could be perfectly genetic, yet not transmissible (it would appear at random, just as we observe it).
You should stop using "gayness" instead of homosexuality.
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »
I don't know if it is genetic (like skin pigmentation) or ambiental (like fingerprints). What I am sure its that it is not a choice, and it is not learned. On regards on how could homosexuality be genetic, I think I recall reading a paper that basically stated that a specific combination of positive genes could be the cause of it. In that case, homosexuality could be perfectly genetic, yet not transmissible (it would appear at random, just as we observe it).
You should stop using "gayness" instead of homosexuality.

I definitely do agree with you that homosexuality is not a choice.

?

Weatherwax

• Grand Lover of Satan and Science
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »

Tell us, oh wise one, what hormones need to be replaced to make a gay person straight?
A delusion is something that someone believes in despite a total lack of evidence - Prof. Richard Dawkins.

?

homo superior

• make way
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2015, 02:30:25 PM »

My Mom has blonde hair and my Dad has red hair but I have brown (almost black) hair.

Nuff said? It's amazing how someone seemingly so versed in the science of the Earth and the universe has no clue about how genetics work. It took a lot out of me just to not string a bunch of profanity together instead of posting a valid point in response to you. You claim you're not an anti-homosexual biggot but you also think it's a mental condition that can be cured via electroshock. You're a fucking moron, do some basic research you fucking moron. ::)

Let's not forget that Asperger's syndrome is a mental disorder. Maybe you should get electroshock therapy? I think that's a pretty good idea, actually.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:43:15 PM by homo superior »

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2015, 05:28:06 AM »
Let's not forget that Asperger's syndrome is a mental disorder. Maybe you should get electroshock therapy? I think that's a pretty good idea, actually.

Were you always this obnoxious or did you have to work for it?

Also, mental disorders are similar to physical disorders: some faculties may be damaged/different, while others were just fine. Just because someone's in a wheelchair doesn't mean they can't use their arms. Asperger's isn't going to preventing him thinking/considering: or, for that matter, being wrong/biased.
That being said, the problem with discussing with people on the Autism spectrum is that debate/discussion is always going to be tricky when the other personal has a different thought process to you. I think the cliche example is someone saying "The window's open." While most people might just respond "Yes, it is," what's intended by the statement could be something like "It's too cold in here," or "Something could get in."

Mike may have had a point, it just wouldn't necessarily be clear to everyone else. Apparently you're the one that needs to do research  :P

On topic though, I'm fairly sure hormone exposure in the womb is at least a partial cause. You can typically find physical changes depending on sexuality: for example, the ratio between ring and index fingers.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Excelsior John

• Ranters
  • Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2015, 07:42:25 AM »
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/06/26/417717613/supreme-court-rules-all-states-must-allow-same-sex-marriages

Anyone care about this?
Love wins! This is a MAJER step in the Gay Civil Rites Movemint!!!!!!!!!!! Im so glad the Sapreme Cort finaley came to there sensis and relized how EVIL and IGNORENT they were being!!!!!!!!!!! I was so exsitid when I saw the dasishin but I was also dasgustid at all the homophobic bigotrey of the pepel that oposed it!!!!!!!!! Well ges what Bucko: We won and THATS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope this ruleing puts to silince all these bigotid homophobic conservastupit IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!! Ether way: Gay marriage! :D *WOOT WOOT*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from: sceptimatic
John is not your average bear is he. He's a daddy grizzly that grabs ridicule and intimidation , folds it up, wipes his bum on it and slings it right back, slap , bang into your face and it's frustrating isn't it?

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2015, 09:10:40 AM »
First, queers. Next, plural marriage. Next, your cat. let me know, EJ, when your wedding to your Dog comes up, ok?

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2015, 09:26:43 AM »
First, queers. Next, plural marriage. Next, your cat. let me know, EJ, when your wedding to your Dog comes up, ok?
Let me improve that statement:

First, straights. Second, same-sex marriage. Third, plural marriage. Fourth, animals.

You can have a lot of fun with slippery slopes.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »
Let me improve that statement:

First, straights. Second, same-sex marriage. Third, plural marriage. Fourth, animals.

You can have a lot of fun with slippery slopes.

Stupid statement, since straights have been doing it for 25,000 years, but then, you're not that bright.

?

homo superior

• make way
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2015, 09:50:37 AM »

Were you always this obnoxious or did you have to work for it?

Also, mental disorders are similar to physical disorders: some faculties may be damaged/different, while others were just fine. Just because someone's in a wheelchair doesn't mean they can't use their arms. Asperger's isn't going to preventing him thinking/considering: or, for that matter, being wrong/biased.
That being said, the problem with discussing with people on the Autism spectrum is that debate/discussion is always going to be tricky when the other personal has a different thought process to you. I think the cliche example is someone saying "The window's open." While most people might just respond "Yes, it is," what's intended by the statement could be something like "It's too cold in here," or "Something could get in."

Mike may have had a point, it just wouldn't necessarily be clear to everyone else. Apparently you're the one that needs to do research  :P

On topic though, I'm fairly sure hormone exposure in the womb is at least a partial cause. You can typically find physical changes depending on sexuality: for example, the ratio between ring and index fingers.

I need to research to deduce that aspergers is a mental disorder? You know it is. You just wanted a reason to nitpick my post and take an obviously satirical response literally; do you have aspergers as well?

Or do you have a problem with me mocking electroshock? Either way, if homosexuality is a mental disorder then aspergers is just as much so and, according to mikeboy, people with mental disorders need to get electroshock therapy. So... I don't think it's unreasonable to ask mikeman to get his own dosage of electroshock - since, you know - he has a mental disorder.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »
Stupid statement, since straights have been doing it for 25,000 years, but then, you're not that bright.

And look what just happened in the US, and around much of the world before then :o

Maybe the slope isn't all that slippery.

I need to research to deduce that aspergers is a mental disorder? You know it is. You just wanted a reason to nitpick my post and take an obviously satirical response literally; do you have aspergers as well?
Apologies, I probably shouldn't have directed that exclusively at you, it's just an irritating trend in insults on this forum. Asperger's means a few things, but not nearly as much as people here say.

« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »

And look what just happened in the US, and around much of the world before then :o

What just happened is a bunch of morons who one, don't know constitutional law, and two, don't know the history of human society. And your definition of the world amounts to a few nations in Western Europe, and about three in Latin America. In most of the world, if homosexuality itself isn't a criminal act (and it still is in many jurisdictions), then marriage between them certainly isn't permitted. So, I don't think we have much to worry about. The fact that a few degraded states at the end of their useful existence are permitting the final destruction of their civilisation by allowing perversion to become the normal practice doesn't change the fundamental fact that homosexuality IS a mental disorder.

And so it was regarded until 1973, when the so-called "gay rights" movement forced the American Psychiatric Association to accept it as a so-called normal practice through blackmail and political pressure. Welcome to America, have a nice day. The same thing had been done with abortion. You're not free to choose to pray in public. You're not free to choose to celebrate the Judaeo-Christian heritage of the Republic in public. You're not free to own a gun without increasing difficulty. You're not free to make decisions on how to educate your children what with Common Core. But you are free to murder your baby.

Welcome to America, have a nice day.