Tourists at South Pole

• 99 Replies
Tourists at South Pole
« on: May 15, 2015, 02:10:18 PM »
Seems worth documenting

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/738995/First-tourists-to-the-South-Pole.html

Title is misleading as ANI have been taking tourists to the South pole since 1987

Two tourists and one guide from ANI walk 730 miles to the South Pole!

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

Adventure Network International's Ilyushin landing at the blue ice runway at Union Glacier in Antarctica. 

Qantas flight to South Pole (not landing)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:53:06 PM by Aliveandkicking »

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Tourists at South Pole
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 12:33:57 AM »
I could take anyone out to the middle of a snow desert and tell them that they are at the south pole.  Why would the "tourists" question where they are? 

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 12:50:46 AM »
Where would they be taken jora?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 12:55:50 AM »

Who knows?  I could take you out to Greenland and tell you you are at the North pole.  None of the tourists would know better or even question me if I am their guide. 

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 01:14:35 AM »
Well we are talking about the South Pole.  So where would they take them?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 01:28:40 AM »

Do you think I am privy to all of NASAs satanic information?  They could be in Colorado or on a sound stage for all I know.  What the heck makes you think that I know every satanic thing that happens in the world? 

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 01:42:51 AM »

Do you think I am privy to all of NASAs satanic information?  They could be in Colorado or on a sound stage for all I know.  What the heck makes you think that I know every satanic thing that happens in the world?

Ordinary people  know which side of the equator we are, in the higher latitudes, by observing the Suns obvious motion around the sky.

If an ordinary person is in a vast freezing wilderness they know they can only be in Antarctica.

An ordinary person can only walk 760miles to the South pole in the Antarctic summer where the sun shines continually.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 01:43:56 AM »
A simple I don't know will suffice jora. Or perhaps just don't comment on posts you don't know the answers to?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 01:51:09 AM »

Ordinary people  know which side of the equator we are, in the higher latitudes, by observing the Suns obvious motion around the sky.

If an ordinary person is in a vast freezing wilderness they know they can only be in Antarctica.

An ordinary person can only walk 760miles to the South pole in the Antarctic summer where the sun shines continually.

That is so funny.  You think that Antarctica is the only cold wilderness in the world.  How old are you?

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 01:55:45 AM »
What other large ice covered continent is in the southern hemisphere?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 01:59:13 AM »

I am sorry, but I did not see where these people excavated an entire ice continent.  Would you please not change the subject whenever you feel like it?  This is called derailing and it is against the rules. 

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 02:02:47 AM »
Not sure where the dealing comment came from but il point out you are trying to imply tourists could be anywhere and they wouldn't know. So il ask again. Where in the southern hemisphere is their a large ice coverd continent apart from the real Antarctica they could be taken to to trick them?

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 02:27:50 AM »
Not sure where the dealing comment came from but il point out you are trying to imply tourists could be anywhere and they wouldn't know. So il ask again. Where in the southern hemisphere is their a large ice coverd continent apart from the real Antarctica they could be taken to to trick them?

As you can realise for yourself jroa is derailing

Please do not assume he is anything other than a liar

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 02:33:44 AM »
Indeed he is trying to set up a semantics argument.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 02:36:48 AM »

The guy is just a pervert.  Most likely the same pervert known as charles bloomington, cikljamas, and sceptimatic
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:38:42 AM by Aliveandkicking »

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 05:00:36 AM »

I am sorry, but I did not see where these people excavated an entire ice continent.  Would you please not change the subject whenever you feel like it?  This is called derailing and it is against the rules.

Hang about,  it's you yourself  who is derailing the topic,  anyway,    excavate is not the same as evacuate,   which did you mean?

And in case you didn't notice, the antarctic flights and ship based tours,  sail south from Argentina and Australia,  how would it be possible to whisk the entire ship or aircraft to some other (non existant ) ice bound continent.
When in Antarctica the animals and fish are unique to those areas.   

You obviously have a lot to learn about Antarctica,   you should go on one of the tours.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:07:49 AM by Rayzor »
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 11:13:57 AM »

Who knows?  I could take you out to Greenland and tell you you are at the North pole.  None of the tourists would know better or even question me if I am their guide.

You've been hanging around this place too long if you believe that. It's unlikely that many tourists have the lack of curiosity (i.e. none at all) that sceptimatic claims, nor the level of confusion about geography that cikljamas and charles bloomington continually show.

It's easy to tell if you're close to the pole or not (and which one!) if you know the approximate date and can see the sun for at least a few hours. It's even easier, and you don't need to see the Sun at all, if you use a GPS. If you're "taking them to the South Pole" (topic), there's a well-known and fairly large research station there whose absence would be hard to miss.

You might hold that idea for the Official Flat-Earth Expedition. It could work there if you were somewhat selective about who you brought along.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 12:52:13 PM »

The guy is just a pervert.  Most likely the same pervert known as charles bloomington, cikljamas, and sceptimatic
A pervert ? Alive and ass licking , the only  perverts around here is your  three ring circus  . You & the other to lying ass holes razor & Alpha2Omega.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

Mikey T.

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »
charles, just stop.  If you cannot form anything into coherent refutations of a topic and have to resort to a children's game of insults to make yourself feel better, just go ahead and remain quiet.

Next I give you charles' dance of being angry at me and trying to make himself feel better.  Go ahead charles you can dance now, or be silent, your choice.   

?

tappet

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 03:07:52 PM »
I worked as a tour guide for many years in remote areas.
I talked shit, the tourist just loves to swallow shit.
Tourism is about making money, not about being truth full.
If you want to captivate the naïve tourist tell them some bullshit story of how we are destroying your planet.
You can even bring tears to eyes.

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 03:56:55 PM »
charles, just stop.  If you cannot form anything into coherent refutations of a topic and have to resort to a children's game of insults to make yourself feel better, just go ahead and remain quiet.

Next I give you charles' dance of being angry at me and trying to make himself feel better.  Go ahead charles you can dance now, or be silent, your choice.
Mikey dont make threats. Thats just being plain silly ,when you dont now how ferocious a person may become. If Aliveandkicking is going to dish it out .Then whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 05:12:49 PM »
If you want to captivate the naïve tourist tell them some bullshit story of how we are destroying your planet.

You're bragging about telling people whatever you think you can get away with, whether it's true or not.

Noted. Thanks for the candor.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 05:16:14 PM »

It's easy to tell because the Sun never sets in the summer, it never rises in the winter, and the stars rotate around a point above your head.  This happens on the North Pole too, but on the North Pole things rotate around you clockwise while in the South Pole everything rotates counterclockwise.  Also, the night sky of the South Pole is filled only with southern constellations.  It's also worth mentioning that all of this stuff is impossible on a flat Earth.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Mikey T.

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 05:38:44 PM »

Mikey dont make threats. Thats just being plain silly ,when you dont now how ferocious a person may become. If Aliveandkicking is going to dish it out .Then whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
In what way was that a threat?  Do you have a reading comprehension problem also?  I told you to stop just jumping in with the child like attitude of throwing insults around.  Are you that deluded to think that you are even important enough for me to waste my energy on?  I admit, I got a little carried away a week or so ago during the whole racist stuff going on, and I took a few days off to clear my head. 
You however are nothing more than an insignificant moron who thinks he can throw out insults and not get called out on it. 
So if you felt threatened for that comment, I shudder to think what you would do if I actually did decide to screw with you much.  You must be very insecure to think that that was a threat.  You are so predictable that it doesn't even rate as fun honestly.  Same shit, different response.  So lets try to do something productive and add to the conversation.

I have a question, so in this article, I am guessing they are referring to the first tourist because no one usually goes to Antarctica other than for work or research purposes.  Rather it really isn't a big tourist destination.  Some people go to do research, so go to maintain the bases used for research, some go to supply those bases, but these are actual tour guides that you can book just to go and not have another purpose?
The problem with the whole its some random ice desert elsewhere and not the south pole makes little sense due to a few factors. 
First the place you leave from to get there, the length of time to make that trip, hence the distance from that origin to the destination. 
Second the fact that during the Southern hemisphere's summer the sun would be above the horizon in some parts of Antarctica 24 hours a day.  Knowing that you didn't time warp from the day you left to 6 months in the future in the North pole area, and didn't time warp back at the end of the tour (people are pretty attentive to what day it is normally, at least what week it is).  They leave on a tour of Antarctica, they plan it for a certain time frame, and they return at the end usually pretty damn close to when they expected to be back.  So how do we explain the midnight sun in Antarctica when its dark in the North pole areas at the same time?
Third people paying this much money, which is a lot for the average person, would definitely notice irregularities.  If you have ever paid to go on a trip, I am sure if you are told it will be 3 hours to reach your destination, you will be watching the time.  If you are told you are traveling a certain direction, there will be a few intelligent people watching things like what direction the sun is and what apparent direction you are traveling.  If you have never been to this place, and you paid a good deal of money to go, I would bet you would be watching out the window and doing some sightseeing. 
People in general are inquisitive and many are distrusting.  So especially on some sort of sightseeing tour to a place where not many people have gone, I am sure they will be more alert and attentive.  It is a bit dangerous also.  Who is gonna save your ass if your plane crashes halfway between the South pole and the base you left from on the coastline.  Who is gonna save your ass if you crash into the ocean between the orgin and the base on the coast.  I'm relatively positive there would be quite a few people alert and attentive due to that alone.

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 05:59:25 PM »

It's easy to tell because the Sun never sets in the summer, it never rises in the winter, and the stars rotate around a point above your head.  This happens on the North Pole too, but on the North Pole things rotate around you clockwise while in the South Pole everything rotates counterclockwise.  Also, the night sky of the South Pole is filled only with southern constellations.  It's also worth mentioning that all of this stuff is impossible on a flat Earth.

jroa was boasting that he could pass Greenland off as the North Pole, not the South Pole.

Most of Greenland is above the Arctic Circle, so the Sun never sets there for part of the year, the same part of the year it never sets at the North Pole, and the Sun moves across the sky in the same direction in Greenland as at the North Pole because both are in the far north. Parts of Greenland might pass for the North Pole to someone particularly unobservant, like sceptimatic claims to be. It couldn't pass as the South Pole to anyone but the dullest of the dull (people who actually believe the Earth may be anything but a globe?) for the simple reasons that the seasons should be reversed. He seems to think the part of the general public interested in polar travel is as gullible as flat earth believers.

He's just jroa being jroa.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2015, 06:21:27 PM »

Actually, it's even easier than that.  The north pole is a floating ice pack, while Greenland is not.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2015, 09:15:07 PM »
The easiest way to tell you are at the south pole would be to watch the southern cross ( and all the other stars ) rotating clockwise about the south celestial pole,  which will be directly overhead.

I've posted these before,  but  if anyone is interested there are routine supply flights,   during the summer  to the South Pole by LC130's  providing support for Amundsen Scott Research Station.

Here is continuously update satellite imagery of the south pole http://amrc.ssec.wisc.edu/data/view-data.php?action=view_image&product=satellite/composite/PSEUDO512.GIF
And a webcam is here http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/obop/spo/livecamera.html

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

?

tappet

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 01:55:39 AM »

You're bragging about telling people whatever you think you can get away with, whether it's true or not.

Noted. Thanks for the candor.
No, its carrots and sticks dumbass.
You are told what to say and do it or you don't keep your job.

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2015, 02:44:32 AM »
I've never seen anyone buy any of your bullshit on these forums, so I'm not convinced anyone would buy it in real life.

Why don't you take us through how you would fool a bunch of people with GPS, compasses and eyes that they were at the South Pole when they were really somewhere else.  How would you pull off this grand illusion?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

tappet

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2015, 03:13:35 AM »
I've never seen anyone buy any of your bullshit on these forums, so I'm not convinced anyone would buy it in real life.

Why don't you take us through how you would fool a bunch of people with GPS, compasses and eyes that they were at the South Pole when they were really somewhere else.  How would you pull off this grand illusion?
I don't know how to pull off a grand illusion at the south pole as I have never been there.
Have you?