Flat Earth and going to the Edge.

• 16 Replies
Flat Earth and going to the Edge.
« on: January 22, 2015, 06:44:23 AM »
Hello,

I've joined this forum to ask a very simple Question. Considering the technology exists at a price that can be crowdfunded, why hasn't anyone tried to make an expedition to the edge?

If the world is a flat disk, is it not possible to say, take a plane to the edge of the disc and prove to the world that the world is indeed a flat disc?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Flat Earth and going to the Edge.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:55:56 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum.  We currently have a fund raiser to get the money to do this.  Would you like to contribute?  If so, I can give you the details. 

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 06:57:07 AM »
Yes please.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 07:10:13 AM »

mikeman7918

• Round Earther

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum.  We currently have a fund raiser to get the money to do this.  Would you like to contribute?  If so, I can give you the details.

Hi, related question, why is it 4,000,000 dollars when there are far cheaper packages that could be done to be the initial expedition. Is it because 4 million is unobtainable and therefore helps propagate the myth?

Obviously on a fact finding mission, you could just send a couple people to the pole and if they cannot find a wall and observe the other phenomenon common to a spherical earth then you can save the 4 million on a full expedition to look for something your preliminary expedition couldn't find evidence of existing?

For reference, but not limited to

http://www.white-desert.com/adventures/emperors-south-pole/
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

?

13jer36

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »
Wait. Are you saying airplanes have not crossed over Antarctica?

?

13jer36

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 01:44:05 PM »
Do we? Or do we not fly over Antarctica? Do airplanes disappear forever or do airplanes reach expected land mass?

?

13jer36

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 01:46:27 PM »
Sorry. Cause I don't' have any idea.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »
The link I included states that it includes a flight to the geographic south pole. Also a cursory search of google showed multiple private flights around various parts of Antarctica.

So at least I think there are planes flying around there.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:12:40 AM »
I split off the debating parts of this thread and moved them to the appropriate forum.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62683.0#.VMKCa9LF-Gc
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:16:46 AM by Pongo »

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 11:45:10 AM »
Yes please.

We thank you for your contribution to further expand man's knowledge. 

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=61797.0#.VMESbI7_7oI

Since this is a publicly funded charitable venture, can you please tell me the identity of the current fundholders? There should be no problem with this as you're required to disclose it by law if asked.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 11:47:05 AM »
What laws?

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 11:54:17 AM »
What laws?

The laws governing charitable enterprise in the USA. My wife used to work for a charity out there so she knows this stuff. You are required to disclose the identity of the fundholders and signatories to corporate entities acting as fundholders in any organisation that collects money for a publicly funded venture. This is to prevent fraud and people simply pulling swindles to put the money in their own pockets. For all I know, you're just keeping the donations and spending them on beer. There are similar laws here in the UK, but since your collection is in dollars I figured the USA laws would be sufficient, and they require the stewardship of donations to be open to public scrutiny.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 11:55:03 AM »
What laws?

The laws governing charitable enterprise in the USA. My wife used to work for a charity out there so she knows this stuff. You are required to disclose the identity of the fundholders and signatories to corporate entities acting as fundholders in any organisation that collects money for a publicly funded venture. This is to prevent fraud and people simply pulling swindles to put the money in their own pockets. For all I know, you're just keeping the donations and spending them on beer. There are similar laws here in the UK, but since your collection is in dollars I figured the USA laws would be sufficient, and they require the stewardship of donations to be open to public scrutiny.

I didn't realize you were  a lawyer as well as an author. You must be very accomplished. Would you mind showing us your credentials?
Read the FAQS.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 12:02:23 PM »
Who said this fundraiser was for charity?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 06:39:57 AM »