Non-linear path of light

• 9 Replies

FlatEarthDenial

• FE is anti-science.
Non-linear path of light
« on: December 25, 2014, 05:23:29 AM »
Hi, it has been a while since I posted last time on this forum and this is probably my last question. On virtually every topic on this board some flat-earther questions the linear path of light. However, evidences of straight path of electro-magnetic waves are observable in every-day life. Namely, we can observe it simply by measuring shadows of some big non-transparent objects (eg. buildings, bridges, moon during eclipse...). Also, the functions of radars, GPS satellites, and almost every device that uses electromagnetic radiation depend on it. How do you explain them?
A former Flat Earther.
This is my story, which I'd encourage every Flat Earther to read:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=67051.0

Re: Non-linear path of light
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 01:23:32 PM »
I thought they'd dropped this theory. I don't see it being mentioned around here very much any more.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

ausGeoff

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 11:27:11 PM »
I thought they'd dropped this theory. I don't see it being mentioned around here very much any more.

I still think one of the funniest (and most ignorant) examples of the FE's "bendy light" theory was their explanation of why a ship's hull disappears first as it travels way from the observer's position.  They claim that the path of the light reflected from the ship curved gradually to eventually fall towards the (flat) earth's surface before it reached the observer!  Even over a distance of 50km or so LOL.

I'm guessing embarrassment has silenced this claim.    ::)

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 12:49:20 AM »

Or maybe, the proponent of bendy light has moved to the other website
I think, therefore I am

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »

Or maybe, the proponent of bendy light has moved to the other website

Good. Another easily disprovable theory they can't use to slow down and mire an argument, then. I don't visit the other website.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 02:18:44 AM »
I have read a different proposal though; "light has a limited distance in the air" which is used to explain sunrise/sunset and day/night.
I think, therefore I am

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 03:54:35 AM »
I have read a different proposal though; "light has a limited distance in the air" which is used to explain sunrise/sunset and day/night.

Well light does have a limited distance in air, but it's not as limited as they need it to be in order for it to explain anything, and it certainly doesn't explain sunsets/sunrises. The sun sinks and rises from the horizon, not gradually dims down to darkness like it's on some sort of massive dimmer switch. Disproved.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 04:00:42 AM »

Well light does have a limited distance in air, but it's not as limited as they need it to be in order for it to explain anything, and it certainly doesn't explain sunsets/sunrises. The sun sinks and rises from the horizon, not gradually dims down to darkness like it's on some sort of massive dimmer switch. Disproved.

In RE light fades with distance, the intensity gets dimmer the further away you are from the source. But in FE, light would just stop after reaching a certain distance!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:59:26 AM by Cartesian »
I think, therefore I am

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 04:03:32 AM »
Again, another Q&A thread without any participation from any FE'r  ::)
I think, therefore I am

ausGeoff

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 05:21:12 AM »
Again, another Q&A thread without any participation from any FE'r  ::)
This is more than common on the Q&A forum.  It's possibly because we REs ask the sort of questions the FEs have no meaningful answers for.  I posted some relevant questions HERE a week ago for iWitness (a verified FE) and he chose to avoid addressing them.

It's quite ironical actually that the moderators here often ask us to post questions in the Q&A forum—rather than the general debate forums—but then totally ignore answering them.  I'm guessing that this is just a ruse to shift our questions on to the back burner, where they can be quietly ignored until they hopefully slip off the radar.

Maybe this Q&A forum should be retitled "Unanswerable RE Questions"?

;D