Just curious...

• 19 Replies
?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
Just curious...
« on: June 27, 2013, 07:11:57 AM »
Apart from this forum, what's it like to be a flat earther in real life? What are your interactions like with people everyday when you tell them this stuff? I'm interested in hearing some honest accounts on this.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Just curious...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:15:25 AM »
Apart from this forum, what's it like to be a flat earther in real life? What are your interactions like with people everyday when you tell them this stuff? I'm interested in hearing some honest accounts on this.
It is the reaction IRL that you get on TFES, everyone thinks you are crazy.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:06:20 AM »
Sceptimatic, have you ever told anyone in real life about your views on gravity for example? I told my Mom about it the other day, her reaction was that you're crazy. And she believes in the Long Island Medium.

Usually when I come across people with weird ideas in real life I tend to smile and nod rather than debate, because I don't want to seem rude.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

?

spoon

• Flat Earth Editor
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:17:37 AM »
The people I have spoken with were at first condescending and laughy. They usually leave with a confused, unsure look on their face after we debate for a while.
I work nights are get the feeling of impennding doom for things most people take for granted.

?

darknavyseal

• Round Earth, for sure, maybe.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:04:13 AM »
My sister had a counselor at a camp once who thought the Earth was flat. She also thought it was 5000 yrs old, and did not believe in evolution.

She didn't make fun of her there, because that would be rude, but we sure had a good laugh later.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:06:23 AM »
The people I have spoken with were at first condescending and laughy. They usually leave with a confused, unsure look on their face after we debate for a while.

That look means "holy shit, this guy is crazy. How do I get out of this conversation without upsetting him?"

Of course if you throw all the nonsense at them that gets spouted here, they get confused. People generally don't have the knowledge or background to fact check every assertion you make. It's easy for people like Kent Hovind, for example, to win debates by blasting his opponent with made up "facts" that the opponent then has to waste time refuting. Then if something slips through that there's no quick answer for it's "AHA! Got you!". It's called a Gish gallop - yes it "works", but it is based on dishonesty.

Well that turned into a bit of a rant. Not saying you do all that burdenofproof, but I think it can explain why people walk away confused from a flat Earther.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 10:08:47 AM »
Another thing I'm curious about is just what kind of jobs those Flat Earthers have ? ???

Someone has said that some of them don't even have jobs but just spend all their time on this forum making up weird stuff ?

You may chalk it up to plain old ego, but the more I get on this website the more I like my signature line.  :D (Modestly, though ,  I would have to admit it's not orginal. I borrowed it from Billy Rose.)

In the first place it is truly a place to "come for entertainment." Flat Earthers are truly  a great source of entertainment. 

In the second place it does make you  and I  "go for education" to look  up things (facts, maps, photos, etc.)  for the education.

(Caveat. : Of course all of  those facts that I do find when I look them up  are all of them   just part of "The Round Earth Conspiracy". The facts are faked and the photos are photoshopped of course. )  ;D

Like the distances from the earth to the sun and moon for example. ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:39:01 AM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:44:41 PM »
    "If they don't tell you you're crazy, you're not doing something worthwhile" - Peter Eisenberger, Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Columbia University

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »
    "If they don't tell you you're crazy, you're not doing something worthwhile" - Peter Eisenberger, Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Columbia University

"Sometimes when they tell you you're crazy, it's because you actually are crazy." - Shmeggley, Educator of Flat Earthers.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
This is all I have to say about what other people think of me:

With Lyrics:
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:21:36 PM by EarthIsASpaceship »

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »

With Lyrics:

Cool video, I like that song too.

However if you think that other people are saying you're crazy, it's possible you are paranoid.  :-B

?

Puttah

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
    Another thing I'm curious about is just what kind of jobs those Flat Earthers have ? ???

Someone has said that some of them don't even have jobs but just spend all their time on this forum making up weird stuff ?

You may chalk it up to plain old ego, but the more I get on this website the more I like my signature line.  :D (Modestly, though ,  I would have to admit it's not orginal. I borrowed it from Billy Rose.)

In the first place it is truly a place to "come for entertainment." Flat Earthers are truly  a great source of entertainment. 

In the second place it does make you  and I  "go for education" to look  up things (facts, maps, photos, etc.)  for the education.

(Caveat. : Of course all of  those facts that I do find when I look them up  are all of them   just part of "The Round Earth Conspiracy". The facts are faked and the photos are photoshopped of course. )  ;D

Like the distances from the earth to the sun and moon for example. ;D

Just a little lesson on grammar because you seem to have developed the wrong habits and it's always best to learn to correct them sooner rather than later.
    • When ending a sentence with a question mark or exclamation mark, don't add a space before the last word. For example: What's going on here?
    • "come for entertainment." - The full stop should be outside of the quotation marks, although you correctly used it later so maybe it was a typo/brain fart.
    • photoshopped of course. ) - No space after the last character when closing your bracket.

Ok now that that's out of the way, I always thought that FEers spent their free time conducting experiments![/list]
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:03:38 PM by Puttah »
    Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    « Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »

It honestly doesn't come up very often.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 04:17:59 AM »
    I don't think it'd have much impact on everyday life. And Pongo is right, it doesn't come up very often, unless you're the kind of person that wears an "I believe Earth is flat!" T-shirt...

I think most people would see Flat Earthers just like they see religious zealots. There's nothing preventing regular interaction, as long as the particular topic doesn't come up. I have friends that are religious zealots, and I would have no problem having Flat Earther friends either. One belief does not describe the whole of a person.

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 03:26:47 AM »

With Lyrics:

Excellent song - truly excellent.
    The video demonstrates that we can not fully trust our senses.

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 03:29:44 AM »

It probably won't - it's pretty rare for people to be honest with each other.
    The video demonstrates that we can not fully trust our senses.

Salviati

• What is my Personal Text?
    « Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 06:54:35 AM »

IF "they don't tell you you're crazy" THEN "you're not doing something worthwhile"

This is a syllogism in the form IF... THEN.

From it you can logically infer this one:

IF "you are doing something worthwhile" THEN "they tell you you're crazy"

but you CAN'T infer:

IF "they tell you you're crazy" THEN "you are doing something worthwhile"

Implicitly you did a mistake called "to negate the antecedent". You didn't say it explicitly, but your mistake is evident from the citation.

In other words, if someone tells a fe'er (s)he is crazy, well, it is because one that believes the sun is 3.000 miles high is really insane.
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 07:00:42 AM by Salviati »
    Q: Why do you think the Earth is round?
    A: Look out the window!

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
    • Planar Moderator
    • I have artificial intelligence
    « Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 06:57:36 AM »

IF "they don't tell you you're crazy" THEN "you're not doing something worthwhile"

This is a syllogism in the form IF... THEN.

From it you can logically infer this one:

IF "you are doing something worthwhile" THEN "they tell you you're crazy"

but you CAN'T infer:

IF "they tell you you're crazy" THEN "you are doing something worthwhile"

You did a mistake called "to negate the antecedent". In other words, if someone tells a fe'er (s)he is crazy, well, it is because one that believes the sun is 3.000 miles high is really insane.

You are crazy.

Salviati

• What is my Personal Text?
    « Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 07:03:40 AM »
    Q: Why do you think the Earth is round?
    A: Look out the window!

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
    • The Elder Ones
    • I'm the boss.
    « Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 01:08:10 PM »

It probably won't - it's pretty rare for people to be honest with each other.

Or, more aptly in this instance, to discuss the shape of the Earth.
    Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?