Author Topic: How to build a Flat Earth  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Agnostic

• Sylvain P. - French Engineer & Flat Earth Theorist
    • View Profile
How to build a Flat Earth
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:26:04 PM »
by John Krygier (http://makingmaps.net/2007/09/19/making-flat-earth-globes/)

What if the world was spherical, but it didn’t matter?

Most of you have been unable to avoid the flat-earth kerfuffle on the day-time talk show The View.

On a recent episode one of the hosts, Sherri Shepherd, said she doesn’t believe the theory of evolution. Whoopi Goldberg, also a host, asked Shepherd “Is the world flat?”

Shepherd’s response was “…I Don’t know. I… I never thought about it, Whoopi. Is the world flat? I never thought about it.”

Most maps show the earth as flat. Map projection is the process whereby the surface of the 3D earth is transformed into 2 dimensions. A flat earth is usually more useful than a spherical one.

A while back I made a flat-earth globe for folks like Ms. Shepherd. It is a globe designed for niche cosmologies.

More images and basic instructions for making your own flat-earth globe below.

I am assuming Ms. Shepherd favors a rather literal interpretation of the all-time best selling Bible (the Christian one). The Bible is largely silent on the flat/spherical earth debate, besides a reference to “the circle of the earth” (Isaiah 40:22) – which rather suggests a 2D earth. So be it.

I believe there is a market for the flat-earth globe, and am certainly willing to entertain proposals for licensing this innovative flat orb.

To make a flat-earth globe:

1. Create an azimuthal equidistant map projection centered on the north pole. A bit of color and a few place names were added to mine, but you don’t need to do this. I printed the globe on a large format ink-jet printer at 1500dpi, but a smaller low-resolution ink jet print would work too.  You can use the great free software package GProjector to create the azimuthal equidistant projection.  For Projection: select azimuthal equidistant; for the Overlay: one of the Earth outlines that comes with the software, set the Lat to 90° N and the Radius: to 180°.

2. Visit a well-stocked craft store. They usually have thin pressed-wood circles of different sizes for less than $5. Select a wood circle that fits the diameter of your flat-earth globe.

3. Carefully trim the circular flat-earth globe with a sharp blade, using the wood circle as a guide.

4. Glue your flat-earth globe to the wood circle.

5. Craft a stand: I found an old globe at a yard sale and removed it from its stand. I then drilled two holes in the side of my flat-earth-globe and fitted it to the stand. My globe was printed 12 inches wide to fit the stand for a 12 inch globe.

That’s it!

"The earth is flat indeed. Saying it is a sphere was the worst mistake of our modern science." 1893. Pr. Orlando Ferguson, Academy of Science

"The world is flat." 2005. Thomas Friedman

Offline Agnostic

• Sylvain P. - French Engineer & Flat Earth Theorist
    • View Profile
Re: How to build a Flat Earth
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:26:52 PM »
Interesting comment found after the tutorial posted by Dr. Brandon P. Rasmussen, Adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of Tennessee

Ice wall. It’s all about the Ice wall, Jaudan. And Magellan just flitted his boat to the ice wall, went around the circumfrence of the earth once, then came home and said “I’ve been mutinied against! So I’m not really hear to claim victory! Ignore my ravings!”

And his crew was summarily executed for the heresy of a flat earth. The Church has always historically been very hush hush about the truth–them and their round earth.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:29:01 PM by Agnostic »
"The earth is flat indeed. Saying it is a sphere was the worst mistake of our modern science." 1893. Pr. Orlando Ferguson, Academy of Science

"The world is flat." 2005. Thomas Friedman