Man Snaps Stunning Space Photos Using Balloon, Duct Tape

• 63 Replies
Man Snaps Stunning Space Photos Using Balloon, Duct Tape
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »

This photo was taken from a device (made by a British man) attached to a weather balloon made from a digital camera, GPS device, duct tape, and home insulation. It was taken from 22 miles up.

I realize that FEs are immediately going to claim that this image is doctored, or that there's some distortion of his device's lens which creates the effect of a round Earth, but come on. What more do you want? Full story: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/space/article7074839.ece.

Here he is with the device.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
Re: Man Snaps Stunning Space Photos Using Balloon, Duct Tape
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:59:53 AM »
That's certainly one of the smaller devices for it, but it's nowhere near the first time it's been brought up.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:55:35 AM »
You could take all the flat earth believers up in a shuttle to show them the absolute proof and they'd still claim the shuttle windows were doctored to make the earth look round. What makes me laugh is that they can see the moon and some other planets though telescopes.....Either the flat earth society is a practical joke or these people are dangerously stupid.

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »
You could take all the flat earth believers up in a shuttle to show them the absolute proof and they'd still claim the shuttle windows were doctored to make the earth look round. What makes me laugh is that they can see the moon and some other planets though telescopes.....Either the flat earth society is a practical joke or these people are dangerously stupid.

What evidence do you have that I'd say such a thing?
I don't remember anything. Well, I do, but it's really vague. Like I was on drugs the whole time.

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 01:52:44 PM »
So you'd admit you were wrong if you were taken up to see for yourself? Because the UK air force has an areoplane that can fly high enough and I'll gladly raise the money to pay for the flight...

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »
The point here sureley is that even an ordinary man with basic equipment can get photos that replicate the photos of satellites and probes. The stupid idea that every space photo is part of some global conspiracy is just lunacy thought up by religious idiots who want to reject every area of science that questions their made up understanding of the world and everything on it.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
At the edge of the atmosphere the observer is looking down at the distant edges of the sun's circular area of light upon the earth.

Any such images look as if the observer is looking down at a large mug of cuppachino than a globe earth.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:06:53 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 02:08:14 PM »
So you'd admit you were wrong if you were taken up to see for yourself? Because the UK air force has an areoplane that can fly high enough and I'll gladly raise the money to pay for the flight...

Your argument is a non sequitur. I simply stated I would not comment on the space shuttles windows.
I don't remember anything. Well, I do, but it's really vague. Like I was on drugs the whole time.

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 02:10:44 PM »
At the edge of the atmosphere the observer is looking down at the distant edges of the sun's circular area of light upon the earth.

Any such images look as if the observer is looking down at a large mug of cuppachino than a globe earth.
Prove it. The surface of a sphere when looked at from above looks markedly different to a circle.

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 02:23:44 PM »

In that photo yes, but surely you are not regecting the thousands of photos taken from spacecraft further out. Also why does it matter so much to believe the earth is flat especially in the face of overwhelming evidence that it isn't?

The spotlight theory makes no sense mathematically or in terms of astro physics which is why most people sanely reject it. In fact it's an insult to the many extremely intelligent men and women that have given theirs live to research and science.

And I repeat that I have sailed all over the world in every direction including Antartics which DOES exist and not as some ring around the edge of a flat planet.

Lorddave

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 02:24:56 PM »

So let me ask you this.

If they sent a balloon up on the NIGHT side and you saw lots of little lights and no circular spotlight sun...

Would that prove it?

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 02:39:39 PM »

Even If you did take some of them up and it changed there mind you can't use that as proof... they migt have been tricked into thinking the earth was round. (I wrote about this on another thread recently, about the russia space tourism).

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 07:29:53 PM »

Even If you did take some of them up and it changed there mind you can't use that as proof... they migt have been tricked into thinking the earth was round. (I wrote about this on another thread recently, about the russia space tourism).

What do you think is the point in the FET. Why are some people so intent in preserving it? Space tourism will come alonfg one day, maybe not in our life time but it will happen. What will the FET bandwagon do then?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »
What do you think is the point in the FET. Why are some people so intent in preserving it? Space tourism will come alonfg one day, maybe not in our life time but it will happen. What will the FET bandwagon do then?

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 09:39:50 PM »

Yep nothing to say, not even another dig at NASA.

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 03:17:30 AM »
Tom,

As I've said before, if there was was a FE, there would not be a clearly observable boundary where light goes to shade (as in the "circular spotlight" analogy). 
Instead there would be a gradual tapering-off of scattered light intensity, in accordance with the inverse-square law.

Something like:

This would not render sudden horizon-like curve of light at high altitudes, because the transition would be too gradual.

Does this picture show a gradual tapering-off?  I don't think so!

Also, why are we seeing the blue line of the atmosphere?  That would not be the case on a FE, because there would be no curve to "expose" the atmosphere to the viewer.  Instead the surface and atmosphere would both finish at the horizon line.
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 07:08:55 AM »
You certainly can't argue that the photo doesn't show curvature. Not without massive eyesight problems. I guess you can say its doctored. Though the fact it was so cheap gives FEers a trivial way to prove their point.

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 08:33:25 AM »
I think it's an amazing photo and it's because of guys like that we ever went into space at all.

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 10:21:29 AM »
I think it's an amazing photo and it's because of guys like that we ever went into space at all.

When did we go to space?

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »

When did we go to space?

Do a websearch starting with sputnik and ending with shuttle.....oh and ask your sat nav how it knows where you are....actually there's point...gives me a new idea for a thread lol........flat earth debate I guess would be the right place.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 12:34:03 PM »
Tom,

As I've said before, if there was was a FE, there would not be a clearly observable boundary where light goes to shade (as in the "circular spotlight" analogy). 
Instead there would be a gradual tapering-off of scattered light intensity, in accordance with the inverse-square law.

Something like:

Last I checked, the sun didn't fade out of sight.

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 12:39:07 PM »
Maybe you should check the thousands of space satellite photos again...I'm sure you've missed something there. Don't bother with NASA either, the european and russian space agencies have plenty you can look at. Her's a clue.....it's big, round and blue!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
  • Official wet blanket.
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »
Tom,

Something like:

Last I checked, perspective won't make an object above the horizon appear to set below the horizon as it recedes.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 01:48:03 PM »

I never said it faded out of sight.

Last time I checked, the sun wasn't fitted with a lampshade ;)
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 05:51:29 AM »
Something like:

A better argument for that picture would be to make Tom explain timezones using that spotlight.

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 06:15:46 PM »
Well also on that map the sailing distance between Norway and North Canada is only a fifth the sailing distance between Cape Town and Cape Horn when in reality it's two thirds the sailing distance. I know because I've sailed it, as do thousands of vessels every day. Maybe Tom has an explanation for that (and in fact all the stretched sailing distances on that map) although be careful Tom....fuel consumption is related to speed/ distance so no bendy ligt/ illusion nonsense ...the fuel guage doesn't lie.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:18:39 PM by EarthISroundISproven »

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 09:46:14 PM »
Well also on that map the sailing distance between Norway and North Canada is only a fifth the sailing distance between Cape Town and Cape Horn when in reality it's two thirds the sailing distance. I know because I've sailed it, as do thousands of vessels every day. Maybe Tom has an explanation for that (and in fact all the stretched sailing distances on that map) although be careful Tom....fuel consumption is related to speed/ distance so no bendy ligt/ illusion nonsense ...the fuel guage doesn't lie.

Space-time is not uniform?  I see that as being the only possibility.  Now before anyone cuts my head (I seem to bring that out of people, lol), I'm just proposing it as a possibility.  I really don't have the physics background to say one way or the other.  I do think it's possible though, because space time is apparently not uniform everywhere.
Books don't lie...the people that write them do.

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 10:17:12 PM »

Space-time is not uniform?  I see that as being the only possibility.  Now before anyone cuts my head (I seem to bring that out of people, lol), I'm just proposing it as a possibility.  I really don't have the physics background to say one way or the other.  I do think it's possible though, because space time is apparently not uniform everywhere.

Yeah but there's no disputing that fuel consumption is directly linked to distance travelled. So I can sail between any two points and and always know how far I've travelled even without compass etc. Nothing can 'trick' that. There's no flat earth map that can ever get the ocean and land mass area measurements correct. The sea doesn't behave differently from one area to another. It may be rougher yes but water is water wherever you go and it's properties are the same. There's no Jet stream like up in the air. The only thing that can be affected is its boyancy if methane escapes from the sea bed - a very rare phenomenom though.

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 10:28:38 PM »

Yeah but there's no disputing that fuel consumption is directly linked to distance travelled. So I can sail between any two points and and always know how far I've travelled even without compass etc. Nothing can 'trick' that. There's no flat earth map that can ever get the ocean and land mass area measurements correct. The sea doesn't behave differently from one area to another. It may be rougher yes but water is water wherever you go and it's properties are the same. There's no Jet stream like up in the air. The only thing that can be affected is its boyancy if methane escapes from the sea bed - a very rare phenomenom though.
Well, if time was 'ticking' faster near the south pole, you could potentially cover more ground/water with the same amount of fuel.  Obviously this is completely hypothetical, but I think it could work out in that way.
I think this idea deserves many quiet hours of pondering.
Books don't lie...the people that write them do.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
  • Official wet blanket.
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 10:15:04 AM »
Well, if time was 'ticking' faster near the south pole, you could potentially cover more ground/water with the same amount of fuel.

Umm... No.  No matter what rate time is actually 'ticking' along, it still seems the same rate to the observer, therefore the fuel consumption would remain the same.  In shipping, fuel consumption is generally rated in gallons (or liters) per hour.  To an outside observer, the ship may appear to complete a trip in 6 hours while to the crew 12 hours will have passed and the engines consumed 12 hours worth of fuel.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:19:39 AM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.