Is the Earth Flat? Or is it round?

• 39 Replies
?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
Re: Is the Earth Flat? Or is it round?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 04:29:43 AM »
No. That was an equation produced by "modern theorists".

Nope. The calculations are one in the same. Predicting the same phenomenon with the same equations which have been passed down in schools from generation to generation for thousands of years.

I've seen no evidence of this. If they're the same equations then why not say "ancient Greek theorists" rather than "modern theorists"?

Yes, they did. Please read Earth Not a Globe. It also happens to be a history book.

I did. There's nothing in there that explains it as such. Hence this discussion. ???

And I'm still waiting for you to back up your cool story too.

Read more. Post less.

You mean you can't back it up? That's cool!

Actually, not to veer off topic too much, it was Babylonians mostly.

Fixed.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 10:26:50 PM »
I've seen no evidence of this. If they're the same equations then why not say "ancient Greek theorists" rather than "modern theorists"?

That would be because "Modern Theorists" ARE "Ancient Greek Theorists".

They even use Aristotile's eclipse explanation for the rotundity of the earth.

Physicists use Aristotile's buoyancy calculations to calculate buoyancy.

Zoologists use Aristotile's classifications to classify animals.

Philosophers use Aristotle's logic rules in their classrooms.

Biologists use Ancient Greek and Latin to name their tissue.

Medical Chemists use Ancient Greek and Latin to name their drugs.

The educational system is actually about pounding certain ideas into your head and then quizzing you about it afterwards. It is a dogmatic approach to knowledge where books are read, quizzes are taken, and there is only a single correct answer for each and every question.

Aristotile gained so much ground in matters of education because he was the teacher of Alexander the Great, the malevolent Greek Caesar who created one of the largest empires in human history, spreading the Greeks into the far east.

And, of course, if Aristotile was the teacher of Alexander, Aristotile MUST know what he's talking about!

For generation after generation, for thousands of years, the same ideas are pounded into the minds of children. Repeated over and over again verbatim. A Diploma Mill where new children come in, brainwashing occurs, and once sufficiently indoctrinated, are kicked out the door with their official "Now an Ancient Greek" parchment.

Educators are drill instructors of the Greeks which mock the same things over and over each year. Under no circumstance can the system be threatened. Under no circumstance can it be changed. It is one way or the highway.

If you do not agree with the answers of the Greeks, you are marked wrong, and there is nothing which can be done about it!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:20:26 AM by Tom Bishop »

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 04:14:34 AM »

Because "Modern Theorists" ARE "Ancient Greek Theorists".

The educational system is actually about pounding certain ideas into your head and then quizzing you about it afterwards. It is a dogmatic approach to knowledge where books are read, quizzes are taken, and there is only a single correct answer for each and every question.

Aristotile gained so much ground in matters of education because he was the teacher of Alexander the Great, the malevolent Greek Caesar who created one of the largest empires in human history, spreading the Greeks into the far east.

And, of course, if Aristotile was the teacher of Alexander, Aristotile MUST know what he's talking about!

For generation after generation, for thousands of years, the same ideas are pounded into the minds of children. Repeated over and over again verbatim. A Diploma Mill where new children come in, brainwashing occurs, and once sufficiently indoctrinated, are kicked out the door with their official "Now an Ancient Greek" parchment.

Educators are drill instructors of the Greeks which mock the same things over and over each year. Under no circumstance can the system be threatened. Under no circumstance can it be changed. It is one way or the highway.

If you do not agree with the answers of the Greeks, you are marked wrong, and there is nothing which can be done about it!

Tom,

If there's one thing I cannot stand it's people who moan and criticise without offering an alternative (and improved) approach.

What alternative approach do you suggest for education?

I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 07:02:56 AM »

That would be because "Modern Theorists" ARE "Ancient Greek Theorists".

Of course. Modern being another word for ancient?

And you can of course give me a reference to an ancient Greek source where those formulae are printed. (That is, not ENaG)

The rest of your rant I didn't bother to read because it was off topic. Take it somewhere else.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
Tom,

If there's one thing I cannot stand it's people who moan and criticise without offering an alternative (and improved) approach.

I own a private college. It's an alternative college to the monopoly run by the Ancient Greeks. At the private college I run the philosophy is "Learn by Debate".

No Books. No Tests. No Lectures. It's just debating on your own terms with your own research, if you even decide to do research at all. Heated skirmishes can last for weeks.

In each class you must construct arguments against your opponent. The class chooses the winner and the loser after arguments are given and materials presented. The loser gets an "F" for the course and has just wasted several hundred dollars.

The student is forced to build arguments which compel opinions to change. If opinions cannot be changed, if the class does not agree, the student is cast out of the golden gates of the school yard, only to return again when he has mustered the courage to pay several hundred dollars for another course.

No Financial Aid at this college.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:24:46 AM by Tom Bishop »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »
I'm guessing no accreditation either.  So even if they do pass, they have still likely wasted several hundred dollars.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:25:06 AM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 11:27:28 AM »
I'm guessing no accreditation either.  So even if they do pass, they have still likely wasted several hundred dollars.

We're accredited. Just not by the accreditors of the Ancient Greeks.

Accreditors are private entities, just like colleges and businesses. Anyone can file a corporation and start an accrediting agency tomorrow.

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 11:34:22 AM »
Tom,

I own a private college. It's an alternative college to the monopoly run by the Ancient Greeks. At the private college I run the philosophy is "Learn by Debate".

No Books. No Tests. No Lectures. It's just debating on your own terms with your own research, if you even decide to do research at all. Heated skirmishes can last for weeks.
In each class you must construct arguments against your opponent. The class chooses the winner and the loser after arguments are given and materials presented. The loser gets an "F" for the course and has just wasted several hundred dollars.

The student is forced to build arguments which compel opinions to change. If opinions cannot be changed, if the class does not agree, the student is cast out of the golden gates of the school yard, only to return again when he has mustered the courage to pay several hundred dollars for another course.

You have just been cast out, Little Tommy Bishop!!!  Go home to you parents and beg them for another 200 dollars!!!
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 11:40:05 AM »

That's a cool story. What's the name of the college?

(PS I have noticed you've abandoned producing any ancient Greek equations. Shall I assume you will be reapplying for the next semester? The usual readmittance fee will apply :( )

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 12:21:43 PM »
Bishop!  Your using ancient Greek conspirator Pythagoras in the following debate:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=25545.msg568458#msg568458

You are hereby cast out.  Go home and find another 200 dollars!!!