Other Discussion Boards > Philosophy, Religion & Society

Hate Speech Against Religion

(1/35) > >>

RingwallTheTeacher:
I've noticed on many forums, especially this one, there are an incredibly vast amount of people that take it upon themselves to spit hateful comments against religions they know nothing about. Where the hell do people get off mocking others just because they hold a text in high regard or believe in God? Just because someone's an atheist they think it's there role in life to piss others off? I don't judge other for being atheists. I don't judge Islam even though they think all Christians need to die. (And don't tell me bullshit otherwise, my dad owns a Quran.)

So I'd like to know why people find it necessary to spout blasphemy and hate.

spanner34.5:

--- Quote from: RingwallTheTeacher on May 21, 2009, 08:50:37 AM ---I've noticed on many forums, especially this one, there are an incredibly vast amount of people that take it upon themselves to spit hateful comments against religions they know nothing about. Where the hell do people get off mocking others just because they hold a text in high regard or believe in God? Just because someone's an atheist they think it's there role in life to piss others off? I don't judge other for being atheists. I don't judge Islam even though they think all Christians need to die. (And don't tell me bullshit otherwise, my dad owns a Quran.)

So I'd like to know why people find it necessary to spout blasphemy and hate.

--- End quote ---
A vast amount of people is an exaggeration, but I must admit there are too many. I believe there is no god, but do not feel the need to belittle any believer.
Your point on blasphemy is questionable though. If there is no god, then blasphemy ceases to exist.

RingwallTheTeacher:
I'm sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. When I say blasphemy, I meant people intentionally saying things against a person's religion just to spite them. Anyone who believes in evolution would be technically speaking blasphemy, but likely not intending to spite someone.

spanner34.5:
It seems we agree.

Pongo:
If it's ok for mormons to come to my door and try and save me, then I think it's ok for me to post things on message boards to try and unsave people.

Let me bottom-line things for you.  Religion may hold certain benefits for the individual.  I'm willing to concede to it being used as a tool to give someone a sense of purpose, an opinion of superiority, and to help explain the unknown.  All these things can help a person's stress level and lead to a healthier life.  However, the effect of religion on mankind is nothing less that the most deplorable thing we have brought to this world.  It has directly lead to the massacre of millions and millions of people as well as the systematic discrimination of countless minorities.  It's a tool for misogynistic superiority, patriarchy, hypocrisy, genocide, scientific suppression, indoctrination, fear mongering, and - but certainly not limited to - bigotry.  I pose that these things outweigh the self derived benefits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version