Other Discussion Boards > Philosophy, Religion & Society

Consciousness

(1/19) > >>

Anteater7171:
Do you believe consciousness is simply the product of a complex set of chemical reactions in the brain, or something deeper, for example a soul?

Is it possible that only one conscious being has ever existed  and we are all stem from that one entity? Or is it all simply an illusion, and we are all mindless robots?

Proleg:
Consciousness? Can you see it? Measure it? Weigh it? Pass it around? Then how is it different from something that doesn't exist at all?

/B.F. Skinner

optimisticcynic:
Something more. I have a hard time explaining this so if it come out wrong don't get to mad
I know I have a consciousness because I can consciously see this computer in front of me. If I  was a set of chemical reactions I could react to seeing it in way that are undistinguished from "thought", However I would not be in my mind seeing my computer. there would not be an image formed in my mind. there might be information that represents it but I wouldn't see it, I wouldn't be "thinking"
I understand this doesn't sound that clear, but that is because I came up with this idea without real words so I am having a hard time turning into words. Forgive me if I wasn't clear.

Anteater7171:
I know, it's really hard to describe.

WardoggKC130FE:
Is a cat conscious?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version