Author Topic: Proof The Earth Is Spherical  (Read 5434 times)

Offline Moonlapse

• View Profile
Proof The Earth Is Spherical
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:54:12 PM »
http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae535.cfm

I win.

GTFO.

Quote from: Non Idiots
There are a multitude of methods in which any one can prove that the earth is a sphere. These are the most common.

You can launch a rocket to a high altitude and take pictures of the earth (which various government agencies and private groups have already done thousands of times in the past), but that isn't the most practical way. Pictures and videos taken by orbiting satellites and space stations are certainly the most definitive proof that the earth is a sphere.

But if you're not convinced, read on...

You can also observe, with binoculars, ships slowly 'sinking' below the horizon as it sails farther and farther out to the ocean, then watch them come back. They certainly didn't fall off the edge of the earth! You can also sail or fly around the world.

The Greeks discovered that the earth is round by observing lunar eclipses (i.e. when the earth blocks the sun from the moon, casting its round shadow on the moon's surface).

Another method is simultaneously measuring the length of the shadows cast by identical poles perpendicular to a flat surface that is tangential to the earth's radius at various, distant locations. If indeed the earth is round, then the shadows should all vary in length from one distant location to another, which means that the angle at which the parallel rays of sunlight struck each pole varied from one location to another. (recall the alternate-angles theorem from Geometry class) If the earth is flat, then the lengths of all the shadows should be identical when measured simultaneously, since all rays of sunlight that strike the earth are parallel. However, they are not identical, but in fact, varies in such a way that the angles indicate a spherical surface. (This was one of the earliest methods to determine the radius of the earth)

Also, keep in mind the 24 hour time zones. When it is noon in Hawaii, it is approximately midnight in the Middle East and vice versa. How can it be noon and midnight simultaneously? It is certainly impossible with a flat earth and a sun millions of times more massive.

If I were a billionaire and physically fit, then proving to you the earth is round would be no problem. I can just take you with me on the space shuttle and we'll watch with our own eyes the earth from the orbiting International Space Station.

I have heard from astronauts that there is no experience comparable as watching the earth from above.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:56:59 PM by Moonlapse »

Offline narcberry

• Reason > RET
    • View Profile
Re: Proof The Earth Is Spherical
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:57:31 PM »
The earth is flat.

Offline Moonlapse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:02:54 PM »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:05:07 PM »
The sinking ship effect is actually a proof for a Flat Earth, since it has been found that a half sunken ship is a perspective effect which can be restored with the aid of a sufficiently powered telescope. There are many first hand accounts of this in the Flat Earth Literature linked in my signature.

The Lunar Eclipse is not a proof for a Round Earth because there is no evidence that the shadow which manifests upon the moon during a lunar eclipse originates from the earth at all. That shadow which appears on the moon could come from any celestial body intersecting the light between the sun and moon.

The shadow experiment works on a Flat Earth since the sun is close to the earth and its light is vertical overhead and horizontal at its setting. This will cast shadows of different lengths depending on the position of the sun. We can accurately calculate the sun's true distance of 3,000 miles above the surface of the earth through this method.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:08:27 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Moonlapse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:08:32 PM »
Wrong.

You're an idiot if you believe that what you're saying is fact.

SHOW TITS OR LEAVE.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 10:14:18 PM »
Which part do you disagree with?

Offline Moonlapse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 10:23:07 PM »
Which part do you disagree with?

That the earth is flat.  You cannot prove it.  IT HAS BEEN PROVEN BY NASA OR ANY OTHER NATION WHO HAS A SATELLITE IN SPACE THAT THE EARTH IS INDEED ROUND.

But your argument to NASA is that NASA is a conspiracy and lies.

No.

Flat Earth Society is a cult.  Fact.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 10:27:04 PM »
That the earth is flat.  You cannot prove it

Rowbotham's experiments have been conducted many times in the 150 year history of the Flat Earth Society. Just check out the link in my signature. I can count at least a dozen times his experiments have been verified off the top of my head. A woman named Lady Bount was among the first to provided photographic evidence for a Flat Earth:

"The Old Bedford Level was the scene of further experiments over the years, until in 1904, photography was used to prove that the earth is flat. Lady Blount, a staunch believer in the zetetic method hired a photographer, Mr Cifton of Dallmeyer's who arrived at the Bedford Level with the firm's latest Photo-Telescopic camera. The apparatus was set up at one end of the clear six-mile length, while at the other end Lady Blount and some scientific gentlemen hung a large, white calico sheet over the Bedford bridge so that the bottom of it was near the water. Mr Clifton, lying down near Welney bridge with his camera lens two feet above the water level, observed by telescope the hanging of the sheet, and found that he could see the whole of it down to the bottom. This surprised him, for he was an orthodox globularist and round-earth theory said that over a distance of six miles the bottom of the sheet should bemore than 20 feet below his line of sight. His photograph showed not only the entire sheet but its reflection in the water below. That was certified in his report to Lady Blount, which concluded: "I should not like to abandon the globular theory off-hand, but, as far as this particular test is concerned, I am prepared to maintain that (unless rays of light will travel in a curved path) these six miles of water present a level surface."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:29:00 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, discunt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 10:29:58 PM »
Flat Earth Society is a cult.  Fact.

What a man does with chickens under a full moon is only his business. I'll pray for you, because I can tell you're deeply disturbed that everything you've been taught has been wrong. If it makes you feel better, even I have moments of doubt occasionally, simply because of the amount of garbage "science" thrown at us day after day. I think once you come to terms with the reality of the disc earth, you'll be much more comfortable.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Offline Fikealox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 10:55:27 PM »
Lady Bount[/url] was among the first to provided photographic evidence for a Flat Earth: [blah blah blah]

So now we're not accepting photographic evidence, but we're accepting written testimonials about photographic evidence. Haha.

Offline Moonlapse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »
Of course the water is level you idiots!

Gravity pulls on everything with the same amount of force, so why the hell wouldn't it be level?!

You guys are idiots.

Those are whack job experiments performed by pseudo scientists.

Go drink some punch.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_087.html

Quote from: Skeptic Flat Earth Retard
Dear Cecil:

I have utter and absolute trust that the Earth is a sphere. And yet I have never had any personal experience that would convince me of this. I have accepted it as a matter of faith. As someone said, "Common sense is what tells us that the world is flat." For all I know from personal experience, the world might be shaped like a frisbee, which is round and has a curved surface, but is not a sphere. Perhaps Magellan, in circumnavigating the Earth, sailed in a circle around the North Pole in the middle of the frisbee to get back to his starting point. Taking the word of the astronauts is like taking the word of somebody about his religious experiences--interesting but not convincing.

My unfounded albeit profound faith that the world is a sphere is matched only by my faith that you can come up with some proof I can personally experience to prove that our planet is indeed an orb. --Allan H., Topanga, California

Quote from: Not An Idiot Cultist
Cecil replies:

I know you mean this question to seem delightfully impertinent, Allan, but you're about 30 years too late. There are, after all, innumerable photographs of the earth taken from space which reveal it to be spherical. Assuming you are not about to join the Flat Earth Society in proclaiming these a fake, I gather your complaint is that looking at a photo doesn't qualify as "personal experience." Big deal. I've never personally experienced Disney World, either. Most of what we know about anything depends on taking somebody else's word for it.

That said, there are a few home-demonstration-type indications--not proofs--that the earth is a ball. We'll start with ones you've already thought of:

(1) Departing boats gradually sink below the horizon, as do buildings on the shore from the viewpoint of the sailors. Admittedly this only proves the earth is round right where you are--the frisbee hypothesis.

(2) "The sphericity of the earth is proved by the evidence of ... lunar eclipses," Aristotle says. "For whereas in the monthly phases of the moon the segments are of all sorts--straight, gibbous [convex], crescent--in eclipses the dividing line is always rounded. Consequently, if the eclipse is due to the interposition of the earth, the rounded line results from its spherical shape" Of course a frisbee, properly angled, would make a round shadow too. But if the frisbee rotated while the eclipse was in progress, the curvature of its shadow would change. The earth's does not.

(3) The constellations shift relative to the horizon as you move north and south around the globe, something that could only happen if you were standing on a sphere. (You may have to draw a few diagrams to convince yourself of this.) Given sufficient world travel combined with careful observation on your part, the frisbee hypothesis becomes well-nigh insupportable. I suppose this doesn't qualify as a home experiment, but I never said science would be easy.

--CECIL ADAMS
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:04:43 PM by Moonlapse »

Offline TheEngineer

• The Elder Ones
  • GPS does not require satellites.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 11:08:10 PM »
But gravity as a force does not exist...

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Offline Moonlapse

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 11:11:48 PM »
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/flat/flateart.htm

But gravity as a force does not exist...

We know it's there.  Go fall off the end of the Earth and you'll see it in action.

OH WAIT YOU CAN'T BECAUSE IT'S A SPHERE LULZ!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:16:00 PM by Moonlapse »

Offline Moonlapse

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 11:21:07 PM »
Lol, oh haha.  Jokes on me.  You guys don't really believe the earth is flat.  Just luring folks like me in here to blind side me with stupidity and make me think there are really idiots like that out there.

Q: "Why has no-one taken a photo of the Earth that proves it is flat?"

A: The government prevents people from getting close enough to the Ice Wall to take a picture.

Q: "How did NASA create these images with the computer technology available at the time?"

A: Since NASA did not send rockets into space, they instead spent the money on developing advanced computers and imaging software instead

I lol'd.  Thats where I realized this is just a joke site.  Lol that be a bully joke.

Offline Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, discunt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 11:22:34 PM »
to blind side me with stupidity

Irony...
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Offline Moonlapse

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 11:24:04 PM »
to blind side me with stupidity

Irony...

Q: "What's underneath the Earth?" aka "What's on the bottom?" aka "What's on the other side?"

A: This is unknown. Some believe it to be just rocks, others believe the Earth rests on the back of four elephants and a turtle.

Oh snap... I am now sold. 

I am now burning all my globes and maps that I bought from the terrible government.

I can't believe I was so wrong.  Thanks for changing my life!

Also, where's the nearest Church of Scientology???

Offline TheEngineer

• The Elder Ones
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 11:24:19 PM »
We know it's there. 
How do you 'know it is there"?

-- Bob Hudson

Offline Moonlapse

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 11:31:19 PM »
We know it's there. 
How do you 'know it is there"?

You're right, I have no idea.  The government, THE WORLD'S GOVERNMENTS HAVE LIED TO US!

We should have a fund raiser to get all necessary equipment to head south and take photos of the icewall.  I can get my hands on weapons if necessary.  Who is ready to prove our belief?!?!!!??!!?!??!!?1111shifotnesfoaefoneneSHIFT PLUS FUCKING ONE

Offline TheEngineer

• The Elder Ones
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 11:38:03 PM »
You're right, I have no idea.  The government, THE WORLD'S GOVERNMENTS HAVE LIED TO US!
You have been lied to.  All this time you have been taught that gravity was a force.  I was pretty pissed off too, when I found out the truth.

-- Bob Hudson

Offline Moonlapse

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 11:39:35 PM »
You have been lied to.  All this time you have been taught that gravity was a force.  I was pretty pissed off too, when I found out the truth.

How can the world be so stupid?!

It is so obvious now!